Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Follow Up Shot Size?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Follow Up Shot Size?

Follow up shots? In most cases a follow up shot should not be needed if you find the best load for your gun and make sure it patterns well out to 40 yards or more. Ionly shoot within therange of of my gun and make sureI have a clean shot.
I have never needed a second or worse a third shot. I know it can happen but you can reduce the chanced by knowing your setup and the range your shooting. I only keep 3 shells with me and they are all Nitro 3x5x7's

There are always more turkeys that will offer a better shot, I like clean kills.
Thats me not trying to rain on anyones parade.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I understand what your thinking.
But what the others said about the hevi 6 shot.Just use that for follow ups.I missed a bird with the hevi 6 shot,He was to close bout 12 yrds.I then knocked him out of the sky while he was escaping at bout 30 yrds with a body hit!!Broke his wing bone etc!!!Fell from the sky stone dead!!!
Good luck this season,and keep it loaded with all the same shell.
U arnt gonna beat heavy six shot,only thing im seeing on paper Thats close is the hevi 13 magnum blend with #5,6,7 shot 2oz.3"shell. Havent tried it yet on turks,just did pattening with it.It rips thru ply wood just like the heavy13 6 shot 2oz but this has little more pellets where u want them.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have much to say about follow ups. I will mention though that if you plan on the Hevi's, make sure your choke is meant for them

rw
Old 04-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

stay with the shell your gun patterns best
Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by duckdowngreg
Do you like to use bigger shot sizes for second and; third follow up shots?
I"ve got some Remington Hevi Shot Nitro Magnum Loads, 3" 1 3/8 oz 1450 fps in sizes #4 and; #2 shot. (duck loads from two years ago)
Thinking of using #6 shot for first round then going with the #4 for second & the #2 for third round. Any thoughts?
Next question: I"m planning on using 3" Hevi13 #6 shot for the first shot out of a Remington 11-87 factory full choke. What would be best, the 1 5/8 oz or the 2 oz Hevi13 load?
Thanks for the feed back"..
I have hunted turkeys for almost 40 years. During all that time I've had to shoot a second shot a couple of times. When I first started I used a Ithaca Lefever Nitro Special 16ga SxS. The gun is choked MOD and FULL. I loaded the FULL choke barrel with Federal 2" Magnum 1oz #6Pb. I placed the same load except with #2Pb in the MOD barrel. 90%+ of the turkey's I've shot have died with the first shot. Two have went down but got back up an ran. I was able to quickly dispatch these gobblers with a second shot of #2. (Trying to hit a running gobbler in the head is nigh on to impossible for me.) I was thankful for the big shot to be able harvest the wounded birds. Now, where I live (WA State), nothing larger the #4 shot may be used. Whether I'm using my pump gun or, my SxS, the ammo is the same - #6 for the first shot, and #4 for any followup shot.