Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Mossberg barrels..for those looking to buy a new one >

Mossberg barrels..for those looking to buy a new one

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossberg barrels..for those looking to buy a new one

Old 03-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mossberg barrels..for those looking to buy a new one

Hey folks
I called Mossberg the other day to check and see if they had gotten any 20" barrels for the 500 back in stock. We they had some, but I told the guy that I may hold off because the barrel was $163 bucks or so plus shipping. Well he told me that they had jsut had a meeting and that he could sell me the barrel without the packaging for $90 plus shipping. He said that this was due to the high cost of having them shipped to a company that packages them for them. He said now the can go over into the warehouse, pull a barrel off the shelf, slip it into a box, and send it directly to you. He said that the 18 1/2" barrel was around $60 bucks. I jsut wanted to pass this along to some of you guys who may be wanting to pick up a new barrel for the upcomming turkey season or for a home defense application. I plan on using the 20" for both

Hope this helps someone save some money
Old 03-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg barrels..for those looking to buy a new one

Being that it is a shorter barrel, you will lose some of your effective range due to the pattern being able to spread out more rapidly. Am I correct in that assumption..? I've always thought that shorter barrels made patterns spread out more quickly. So for tighter patterns you would want a longer barrel. Is this right or wrong?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:48 PM

Umm, with a 20" barrel and the right choke/load you will range in the 40 yd area.. Longer barrels are a thing of the past for turkey hunting..

However, an18" barrel will spread out as you stated. There's no choke to help it hinse home defence.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 20" barrel on my 835 patterns pretty well out at 40 yards. Dropped a bird in its tracks at a measured 39 yards last season.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

A friend of mine has the 835 turkey special with the 20" barrel and it shoots great....actually better than my 28". Although on the turkey gun specials the barrel is actually overbored to 10 ga. so Im not sure how it will work out. I have an undertaker choke which has served me well in the past. Im going to start with that choke and if Im not happy with that Ill experiment with other chokes and ammo. Ill let you guys know how it all works out. I think that Iam also gonna pick up the tactical style stock that they sell at cabelas made by knoxx. Then my gun will look identical to my buddies $500 turkey gun. I can also use the stock made by knoxx with my slug barrel and scope combo. Ill le tyou guys know how it turns out.

BTW..im not going with the one with the recoil reduction....way to expensive and heavy.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0012785224733a&navCount=1&podI d=0012785&parentId=cat20811&masterpathid=& amp;navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20811_TGP&catalogCode=UJ&rid=&paren tType=index&indexId=cat20811&hasJS=true