Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Snakes!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Snakes!

It normally isn't the snake you see that get you....it is the one you step on or as was said before sit on...OUCH
Old 03-17-2009, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Mouthcaller says, in late season snakes are active. They are worth the extra, even if it is for the ankle support while on rough terrian...
Old 03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many, many years ago,I bought a pair of Chippewa leather snakeboots. Warm weather hunting in the south ... I will be wearing them.T

They've worked great ! Better than I expected because while wearing these boots, I have yet tocome across a sanke in the woods.I am not sure the $$$ was worth it, but it would take only one hit by any of thevipers we have down this wayto sway me otherwise. I am too old to be swayed.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

I always wear snake boots during turkey season, partly for the extra protection but also because of the comfort. Something I've always been curious about though is how much protection they really give you. The boots only go up to just under your knee, and who says a large snake can't strike higher than that? Those 18 inches of snake protection don't mean much if the snake strikes 20 inches high. What do yall think? Any chance they might strike over the boot?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

how many hunters really see snakes while hunting? out west on a elk hunt I saw 1.

Keep your eyes open. Though I guess snake boots and a snake slayer pistol is rarely a bad idea...

It only takes one
Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in Kansas I don't wear them. It is always in the back of my mind every time i go out. A couple years ago i thought i was a dead man. i was walking back to the truck after a fruitless hunt i wasn't really watching what i was stepping on then all of a sudden i heard a rattling noise. i figured my life was already over i might as well see what killed me before i died and it turned out to be a little gardner snake that was shaking its tail in dry leaves.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Fork Horn

I wear them during turkey AND early deer season. I almost stepped on a timber rattler in late October when it was 46 degrees and raining. He may have been too cold to bite me, but I'm not taking any chances in the future.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Spike

I hunt in South Georgia, and I hunt snakes as well as turkeys. I am a nurse and have taken care of countless numbers of people who did not wear snake boots. A bite by a rattlesnake, especially a eastern diamond back is no laughing matter. I have seen people die from something that could be prevented. Don't you be foolish boy!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

how many hunters really see snakes while hunting? out west on a elk hunt I saw 1.

Keep your eyes open. Though I guess snake boots and a snake slayer pistol is rarely a bad idea...

I've killed two canebrakes (timber rattlers in SC) in my driveway. Do I wear snake-proof boots when I hunt? Oh, yeah. In fact, I wear them any time I walk outside my yard and into the woods.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

I always wear snake proof boots, better be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Snakes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.