Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Which Decoy to get

Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which Decoy to get

still thinkin pretty hard about gettin a Struttin decoy of some type....been lookin at the B-Mobile pretty hard...we hunt public ground but its pretty open ground with lots of feilds and strips of brush and so on in between each feild and where i normally hunt there isnt much hunter activity so thinkin pretty hard about gettin one but was wondering for you all that have used them have you had better luck with the full strutting gobbler decoy like the B-Mobile or something like the Jake Mobile thats a strutting jake decoy?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Decoy to get

i have the b-mobile and love it. it is very effective and they put on a great show. but to be honest i have had just as much if not more luck with 2 hens and a standard jake. with one of the hens in a breeding position.
One of the problems with a full strut deke is that most of the toms we call in are most likely not the dominant turkey. they are usually a submissive that is hoping to horn in on a piece of action. a full strut sometimes scares them away.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

wife has gave me the go ahead to get the B-Mobil but we have a while till season starts here so ill wait a little while and get one before season
Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

I bought B-mobile last year and really like it. I used the silk fan and I think we took two birds with it. Iput out4 hens with one of them (She mobile) on the groun.d in a submissive position in front of B-mobile.

One thing that I try to do is make sure all my hens look the same. I have repainted them somewhat to accomplish this. Even though my hens are from different manufacturers they are all the fold up plastic type. I threw the foam ones I owned away because, compared to the plastic ones, the didn't look good to me. They had a significantly different appearance, the paint scheme was too plain, they had that foam ridge around their back and head, and I just didn't like the way they looked and how they spun around in the wind.

Over time the paint will start to peel and chip off the heads, primarily a result of banging around during transport,so I retouchthem up with paintprior to the season. I have started transporting them with old socks covering the heads to help prevent this. Even B-mobile lost some of the white paint on the head from one year of use so he gets a to wear a sock this year when in the bag.

Mouthcaller
Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

where ya gonna get yours champ?

Old 03-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CHAMP198

wife has gave me the go ahead to get the B-Mobil but we have a while till season starts here so ill wait a little while and get one before season
Excuse me, but I will be needing your man card. It has been provoked until further notice.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

I've been using a set-up of two hens and a jake for years, and it always pays off. The problem with using a dominant-looking strutting tom is if you're down to the nitty gritty and a few weeks into the season, a tom that's had it's arse kicked in by a dominant bird will want nothing to do with a full strutting, tough-looking tom and may stay out of range. A jake will always be inferior to any tom, and if that's what's holding a trophy tom or an even average tom from your dinner plate come go time with little season left to spare, I'd rather not risk it. Just my 2 cents. To me, it's not worth the risk with only 5 days to hunt here in WI. If I had a month or even a few to hunt, I'd probably give it a whirl.

I still carry a shaker-type gobbler call...either way. Last year I called for a buddy and we watched a submissive tom strut around and dismiss our set-up from straight away near a line fence and not close any tighter than 75 yards. He would only show himself and respond when I hit the shaker gobbler. This got the attention of a monster tom that we never saw come up from behind us, and he took a 28 pounder from 15 yards right in front of the blind
Smart old bird was fooled by an average set-up of old dekes, a new Double Bull blind, the gobbler call, and a good bit of being in the right place at the right time.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

where ya gonna get yours champ?
got mine from wal mart here in town tonight they had one left so i went ahead and got it.

and bud you can take my man card all you want after buing a new bow this month and fully setting it up with all good stuff and spending way to much money im doin good buyin a $65 decoy LOL
Old 03-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Champ, some of those replies are correct in that sometimes it will shy a nondominate gobbler off, however if you think that will be a problem in your area or with a particular tom all you have to do is set the tail fan down (back) in a submissive posture, half strut if you will. this will not be as scary to a nondominate bird. Just like it happens in the wild.
Good luck!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

haha I'm just messing with you champ.

www.rogerssportinggoods.com has the b-mobile for $49.99 plus shipping. Just a heads up for those looking at different gobbler decoys.

Quick Reply: Which Decoy to get

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.