Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Greenhorn Mistakes-what should I not do >

Greenhorn Mistakes-what should I not do

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Greenhorn Mistakes-what should I not do

Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Greenhorn Mistakes-what should I not do

If you can see a turkey, they can see you. The slightest movement may alert and even spook them from 50 or more yards. Sit still. And when you feel like getting up and trying something different, wait an extra 15 mins. Seems like every time I do ones head pops up and then profanity's start flying
Old 03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I might add that for every rule there is an exception. Turkeys will do whatever they want and you can do everything right and not get one. Or you can walk into the woods at 9am and shoot one ( not likely but it does happen). Remember, we're the ones trying to out think a creature with a brain the size of a walnut, and they don't play by the rules.
That being said, the advice at the top is excellent and any specific questions will be answered here bu the experienced hunters on this site.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

ORIGINAL: Gamblinman

Since most seasons have yet to begin...never call to turkeys before the season. You definitely want to get outside somewhere to practice calling, so you can get afeel for what the calls sound like in the real world, just not somewhere you'll be hunting.
Why?
You don't want to educate the birds. If you're standing there in the woods 2 days before the season opens and you're calling...a bird is liable to show up. Once he spots you, he puts 2 and 2 together and he will become that much tougher to kill. Sometimes you'll only get one chance at an old tom, and you don't want that one chance to be before the season opens with no gun in your hand.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

^^Gotcha thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since most seasons have yet to begin...never call to turkeys before the season. You definitely want to get outside somewhere to practice calling, so you can get afeel for what the calls sound like in the real world, just not somewhere you'll be hunting.
Why?
Gobblers are conditioned to have hens come to them most of the time. What little bit they do go to hens, or at least meet hens half way, they expect to be rewarded for it. If a gobbler is constantly going out of his way to go to a hen, only to find nothing there (or worse... a preseason scouter/hunter in a camo shirt and faded blue jeans) the odds of him repeating that act are half (at best) of the slim odds you had in the first place.

It really comes back to overcalling and birds getting used to one particular call or calling style. All you are doing when you call to birds pre-season, is putting pressure on them before pressure needs be applied. No point in making it harder on yourself or anyone else. If you want to practice on the real thing... find you a farm turkey or a yard bird.... they will typically give you good feed back, espeically if you have a sack full of chicken feed with you.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

With regards to the originial post question about rookie mistakes:

I would say don't be afraid to make a mistake. It is the only way you are going to learn. Most people think there is a magic forumla to killing turkeys successfully.... and there is..... all you have to do is TRY. You can't kill them from the couch... and you can't kill them with technology (not alone anyway). You still need those good fundamental woodsmanship skills and knowledge gathered from scouting to put you and your technology in the right place. And as you have no doubt heard several times:

1) You have to be still
2) You have to be patient
3) And you have to be ready at all times.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't think that the only time you can kill a bird is early in the morning when he's gobbling. Try sitting all morning, until lunch or so. You may catch a lonely tom lookin for more love. Scratch in the leaves and purr a little on a slate. When you're scratchin the leaves, remember there IS a particular cadence to it. Swampcollie mentions it in that post I told you to read. Honestly, there's nothing I can tell you that isn't addressed in that post by SwampCollie. He said all you really need to know. The only other thing you need is experience, and that'll come with time. Have fun and BE SAFE!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Why?
You're just educating the birds to what not to respond to.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

With regards to the originial post question about rookie mistakes:

I would say don't be afraid to make a mistake. It is the only way you are going to learn. Most people think there is a magic forumla to killing turkeys successfully.... and there is..... all you have to do is TRY. You can't kill them from the couch... and you can't kill them with technology (not alone anyway). You still need those good fundamental woodsmanship skills and knowledge gathered from scouting to put you and your technology in the right place. And as you have no doubt heard several times:

1) You have to be still
2) You have to be patient
3) And you have to be ready at all times.
Hit the nail on the head. you can't name a turkey hunter who hasnt made a mistake. and the best hunters learn from their mistakes. if you do something wrong, dont get frustrated and give up. Think about what happened in that situation and correct it so it wont happen again.

and BE SAFE