Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What state do you live in and what time does your spring season end each day >

What state do you live in and what time does your spring season end each day

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What state do you live in and what time does your spring season end each day

Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default What state do you live in and what time does your spring season end each day

i live in central Missouri and our hunting day for our Spring Turkey season is over at 1:00pm in the afternoon i have never understood why the conservation dept has it set to end at 1.....what time does your state end the day?
i have been thinking about trying to possibly get a petition started to open the season to all day like most other states are...i think they loose a lot of interest in it because of the early day end....anyone got any opinions?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What state do you live in and what time does your spring season end each day

I liven in kansas and our day ends at sundown. that would make me pretty mad if i could not hunt in the evening.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What state do you live in and what time does your spring season end each day

PA ends the day at noon. They do this so that hens that are on roost, ornesting, whatever you may call it,are not scared away from their babies and then refuse to return or lose them to predation when they are out of the area. It is what i have come accustomed to so I really couldn't care less anyways. I think ending at noon is actually a good thing.

*edited to better define "roost".. This is during the incubation period where the hens stay with the eggs and keep them warm, etc., until they hatch.(on the ground)Think of chickens and how they do it, its the same type thing.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Michigan our spring turkey season opens April 18th andends on the 31st of May at sunset.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt in Vermont. We end at noon for the same reason as fingerz said. Im used to it know so it doesnt bother me any.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Tennesssee is open all day.

MO always had some crazy rules. I used to hunt over there in the late 80s and 90s around Ellsinore. They had a two week seaseon and you could kill two birds but only one per week if I recall. Hunting always stopped at noon
Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

What we need to remember is that the utrkey is amassive success story in not only missouri but other states as well. it wasnt long ago that there wasnt hardly any turkey at all. when thery began to reintroduce them and population numbers began to grow enough for a season they still needed to instill programs and regulations to make sure it didnt happen again. Thus the reasoning behind only hunting till 1. Most hens spend the main part of the afternoon on the nest during the warmest part of the day to help with incubation.
Its regulations like this that have pushed missouri's population to possibly the highest in the US with almost a half a million birds statewide.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Nebraska we hunt from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

In Wisconsin we have our season split into 6 periods with 7 zones. You apply for a period within a specific zone and leftover tags can be purchased later for 10 bucks. 1st period is mid April...opens on a Wednesday closes on Sunday. That goes for all periods and last period is 6 weeks after the first. You can hunt from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, but that just changed a few years ago. It was until noon for a while than it was 5:30... now it is 1/2 hour after sunset. I believe the change was due to numbers continually increasing.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset in Louisiana.

Quick Reply: What state do you live in and what time does your spring season end each day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.