Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Who do you think makes the best turkey loads? >

Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

If you still don't believe (which is fine, not trying to be mean) I suggest you talk to some more knowledgeable than me, and then do some penetration tests. Start with lead #6's, and work your way to heavier than lead #9's. Seriously, some of this stuff will suprise you, especially the #9 TSS. That stuff is wicked!
Thanks for the conversation. I will try to be open minded about the stuff and maybe conduct a test or two in the coming off season.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:35 AM

T
Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

677vdrive; All of Nitro's loads are custom loads. They are all made up when you order them. I am sure that Ray and Sandy are working tirelessly to get you your order.
I just spoke with Sandy a couple of days ago, and she said that they were approximately two weeks out on all orders. So I am assuming it will take me around three weeks (figuring in shipping time) for me to get my most recent order.
Good luck.

Hurrianespg,
I dont consider this is a custom load, it is what they list on there web site to work in my gun. I would consider it a custom load if I would have told MR. Ray what to load in the shells in fact he could have built my catalog #H517 shells last summer (in the off season) and I dont think they would have shoot any different.
Still no sign of my shells from Nitro will be 4 weeks this Monday what a JOKE just poor bussiness in my opinion.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its the shell that kills the bird, not the business.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Call me old fashioned too, but just about any decent 12ga turkey load and shotgun/choke comboshould be able to anchor a gobbler up to 40yds. The best load is theone that you are confident with and patterns well from your gun at the maximum range you choose to shoot. If you want to to take 50,60,70 yard shots have at it..at those ranges I would prefer a rifle and take take a head/neck shot. Personally, my limit is 40 yards, I use a Nova with a .670 Pure Gold tube, Leupold 1-4x and a mix of 3 1/2" shells. I have enough Hevi-Shot Remingtons, Federal and Winchester Extended Ranges to last 4 lifetimes.

I shot this with a Federal 2oz #6 with flight control wad at the distance of 40 yards on Friday the 20thjust to check the POI as I havent used it since last spring. Saturday the 21st, was the opening here and this bird dropped about 2 hours into the season without even a twitch at 37 yards using the same load. Our season runs into May and I have 3 tags left so I will have more chances to try different loads. It's certainly not the best pattern but it works for me at my limitations.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 677vdrive
Hurrianespg,
I dont consider this is a custom load, it is what they list on there web site to work in my gun. I would consider it a custom load if I would have told MR. Ray what to load in the shells in fact he could have built my catalog #H517 shells last summer (in the off season) and I dont think they would have shoot any different.
Still no sign of my shells from Nitro will be 4 weeks this Monday what a JOKE just poor bussiness in my opinion.
Again, all of Nitro's loads are custom loads....they are all made once you order them. I'm sorry you have not gotten your order...maybe you can call and talk to Ray or Sandy and see what is going on?

Call me old fashioned too, but just about any decent 12ga turkey load and shotgun/choke comboshould be able to anchor a gobbler up to 40yds. The best load is theone that you are confident with and patterns well from your gun at the maximum range you choose to shoot.
Very well said!