Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Who do you think makes the best turkey loads? >

Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

I am still curious about why everyone LOVES Nitros? Is it simply because of the #7 Hevi in them?

It just boggles my mind that people are paying the kind of money per shell for them and Environmetal could just make up some factory ones of their own. They'd probably do the same exact thing and throw those high pellet count patterns too.
I wonder why they wouldn't jump on that bandwagon?

Let me ask this........how many people would jump ship tomorrow from Nitro shells if there was a Hevi-13 , 3", 2oz, #7 and a 3.5", 2.25oz #7 or even a #5-6-7 Duplex style load to pick from at $20-25 a box?
Old 03-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Matt

I wouldjump on the Hevi-13 ship if,and only if, it beat the pattern shown below of the Nitro loadthat I currently shoot. I cut corners with some of my stuff but not my ammo, the part that actually kills the turkey. I really don't care what it costs, I simply want the best there is. I only plan to shoot four shells this year, so what's the big deal?Some guys who complain about the cost of ammo probably spend more money onbeereach week than I will spend on Nitrosall year.

I've shot it all and the Nitro Triplex2.25 oz of 4X5X7 beat everything else by a mile out of my gun/choke combo. Both on paper and on turkeys. That's why I "LOVE" Nitros. Because it's the best there is. Again, I tested everything and nothing else was close.

I am very much interested in trying the Hevishot 3.5", 2.25 oz offering -trouble is I can't find any. Didn't see any this year at the NWTF convention and none of the stores I frequent has it stocked in anything but #4 shot. I see it listed on the Hevishot webpage but I have yet to find it in #6 shot on any dealers shelves.

Now if you would be kindenough to send me a 5 pack of #6sI'll let you know how they pattern and perform in the field.

Mouthcaller

Old 03-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA
I am still curious about why everyone LOVES Nitros? Is it simply because of the #7 Hevi in them?

It just boggles my mind that people are paying the kind of money per shell for them and Environmetal could just make up some factory ones of their own. They'd probably do the same exact thing and throw those high pellet count patterns too.
I wonder why they wouldn't jump on that bandwagon?

Let me ask this........how many people would jump ship tomorrow from Nitro shells if there was a Hevi-13 , 3", 2oz, #7 and a 3.5", 2.25oz #7 or even a #5-6-7 Duplex style load to pick from at $20-25 a box?

I can tell you that I would jump off the Nitro train if EnvironMetal started making straight #7's.....heck I still think that if Federal would get rid of their Flitecontrol wad and replace it with a good one they would give Nitro a run for their money!

ORIGINAL: Todd1700
Not trying to be ugly here just making some honest observations and would love for some nitro users to respond. First, of course Nitro shells are gonna pattern well. Even their 4x5x7 duplex loads are about 77% number 7 shot. That's a helluva lot more pellets than even a load of 6's. I can get more pellets on target by dropping down to a smaller shot sizewith anybrand but the trade off is the down range energy they deliver. NowI know that Nitro uses heavier than lead shot but still a number 7 pellet is about the size of a gnat turd. Also, Nitro loads their own shells but they do not make the shot that goes in them. They use Heavy 13 purchased from Environmetal. The people at Environmetal do not recommend shooting at turkeys beyond 40 yards with their number 6 shot! That being the case I'm going to have to assume that their range recommendation doesn't increase with a drop down to number 7 shot. If these things aren't consistently lethal at 50 or more yards then I honestly cannot see paying the outrageous price for them. Holes in paper at 50 yards tells you nothing about whether or not a pellet has retained neck snapping power at that distance. Yes I have seen the impressive patterns at 40 yards but most people can obtain a lethal pattern at 40 yards with a 10 dollar box of shells from Wal-Mart. 5 pellets in the kill zone at 40 yards = dead turkey. 10 pellets in the kill zone still only = dead turkey. 20 pellets in the kill zone? Yep that's right still only = dead turkey. See a pattern developing here?
I'm sorry I did not see this sooner.
Nitro does not use Hevi-13 they use EnvironMetal's standard heavier than lead pellets (12gcc). Nitro's loads are also going approx 200-250fps faster.
As a side note EnvironMetal also states that they have slower speeds because their loads pattern better going slower. I have a friend who duplicated their loads for me (I don't reload) and pushed them all the way up to 1300fps and actually increased pattern performance........I only bring this up to say take what they saw with a grain of salt.
#7 heavier than lead will break bones at 70 yards, so if you have the pattern you have the killing power.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just wondering, while we're on the subject. A #7 Hevi-Shot pellet equals WHAT when it comes to lead? A #6, # 5?? This isnt sarcastic, im seriouslly wondering. Thanks guys.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

7 heavier than lead will break bones at 70 yards,
Again,I am honestly not trying to be ugly, BUT, the problem I have believing claims like this is that Heavy 13 is only about 10% denser than lead. (If that) The 12gcc stuff is only about 6 or 7% denser than lead. And you are telling me that a small increase in pellet density like that is making these tiny pellets remain lethal 30 or 35 yards farther than lead of the same size? I just don't believe it.

And if number 7 denser than lead is that deadly to 70 yards they why in the heck are any of these ammo companies even wasting time with denser than lead pellets in 4's, 5's or 6's? Why try to get that bigger stuff to pattern when you can pack waaaaay more no 7 pellets in the same sized shell. If you are right about the lethal range of these heavy number 7's and I'm wrong then the people at Heavy 13, Federal, WinchesterandRemington are the biggest idiots God ever let draw breathe for not jumpingonto this bandwagon.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

WELL THATS NOT A BAD GROUP FOR 100 YARDS.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wanna see another shell match that pattern. I dont think its going to happen.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

I wanna see another shell match that pattern. I dont think its going to happen.
A "pattern" itself is not going to show you the answer to everything you need in a turkey load. This is only half the story. Obviously, being that it is shot size number 7, you will see more pellets in the "kill zone" when compared to a 6 or 5 shot.But when you decrease the size of the pellets(going from a 6 shot to 7 shot) you also lose a ton ofenergy out of each pellet. Because of the lawof inertia, things thathave less masswillbe slowed down much quickerwhen they hit something like the turkey or even just passing through the air on the way to its destination. Thus, the smaller the shot size (like #7's) the less downrange kintetic energy you will have. So by the time those pellets have flown 60 yards it may make one hell of a nice pattern to look at, butthe pellets may not have enough energy left to consistently and appropriately kill a turkey.

Therefor, by this law, it seems that the smaller you go on shot size, the less downrange power you will have. So a shot size #4 may have enough energy to kill a turkey at 65 yards but not a good enough pattern to. On the other hand, a #7 shot may not have sufficient downrange energy to killa turkey at 65 yards, but has a good enough pattern to.

Thats why it is important to understand you need to gettwo things from your gun/choke/ammo combination; A tight consistent patterns, and enough downrange energy. Finding the appropriate combination to maximize both of these will prove beneficial to your hunting success.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never said that. But i said id like to see a pattern thats better than that.

I dont know about everyone else, but im still into getting turkeys within 40 yards. Changing shells doesnt have anything to do with yardage TO ME. Thats not why i plan on getting Nitro's. But i do know that within 40 yards, #7 Hevi-Shot will easily take a turkey.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

hevi 13 out of my mossberg 835 and factory x-factor ported choke
average of 268 in a 10" circle at 30 yards
at 50yards average count of 108
108 at fifty yards come on i like my odds very well since it only takes 1

by the way hevi 13 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz #6

Quick Reply: Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.