Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Who do you think makes the best turkey loads? >

Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Old 03-14-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Well I have shot probably 10 or so different chokes and about that many different kinds of ammo through my newest turkey gun when I first bought it.. Several different Hevi Shot, some Winchesters, couple Federal and some Nitros and I'm sure a couple others... In short the Hevi Shot and Nitro out-shot everything else from my gun. The jellyhead choke seemed to work the best as well. Now the only Hevi Shot that shot excellent was the 12ga, 3.5in. 2-1/4oz #6's.. The Nitros were close to the same, I don't remember the figures though as I did this last year. But cost, performance and availiability I went with the Hevi-13 shotgun shells for my turkey loads. Although I have found that availiability this year is not all that great on this particular shell..
Old 03-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a Nitro believer and I and my buddy have used Rays Nitros for several years now. There pricey for sure, but so is taking the family to dinner and a movie, and you know how long both of those last.There's no factory load that compares. I placed an order for 25, 20 gauge 3 inch straight 7's just over 2 weeks ago and received them yesterday. Waiting is a small inconvenience for such a great turkey load, and whenever I need to reorder, it will be from Ray and Sandy. TopNotch people with a great product.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is everyone so in love with Nitro shells just to get all those #7 Hevi's??

Of course they're going to pattern better than a full load of straight 6's so I wonder why Environmetal hasn't caught on yet and brought out their own Hevi13 #7 offering to compete.
Seems they lose a big audience by not offering their own version.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

If you guys can't hit a turkey at 35-40 yards with a 12
Ga. 3 1/2" you shouldn't be in the woods.

Everyone agrees that anything over 50 yards is not a good shot to take.

So what is the big deal?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Turkey Fife

If you guys can't hit a turkey at 35-40 yards with a 12
Ga. 3 1/2" you shouldn't be in the woods.

Everyone agrees that anything over 50 yards is not a good shot to take.

So what is the big deal?
At 35-40 yards I do not even need to use a 12ga 3.5"....heck I can do it with a 20ga, that is not the point. I want to maximize my pattern, and I want to be able to shoot as far as possible.
There are quite a few people out there who just want to have the best possible pattern irregardless of how far they shoot.
Don't try to push your limitations on others.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I placed an order for 25, 20 gauge 3 inch straight 7's just over 2 weeks ago and received them yesterday.
Not trying to be ugly here just making some honest observations and would love for some nitro users to respond. First, of course Nitro shells are gonna pattern well. Even their 4x5x7 duplex loads are about 77% number 7 shot. That's a helluva lot more pellets than even a load of 6's. I can get more pellets on target by dropping down to a smaller shot sizewith anybrand but the trade off is the down range energy they deliver. NowI know that Nitro uses heavier than lead shot but still a number 7 pellet is about the size of a gnat turd. Also, Nitro loads their own shells but they do not make the shot that goes in them. They use Heavy 13 purchased from Environmetal. The people at Environmetal do not recommend shooting at turkeys beyond 40 yards with their number 6 shot! That being the case I'm going to have to assume that their range recommendation doesn't increase with a drop down to number 7 shot. If these things aren't consistently lethal at 50 or more yards then I honestly cannot see paying the outrageous price for them. Holes in paper at 50 yards tells you nothing about whether or not a pellet has retained neck snapping power at that distance. Yes I have seen the impressive patterns at 40 yards but most people can obtain a lethal pattern at 40 yards with a 10 dollar box of shells from Wal-Mart. 5 pellets in the kill zone at 40 yards = dead turkey. 10 pellets in the kill zone still only = dead turkey. 20 pellets in the kill zone? Yep that's right still only = dead turkey. See a pattern developing here?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry but not buying the (#7 hevi shot) 62 and 64 yards BS!!!!

I've learned one thing in my 44 years of life... People are FULL of BS!!!!

Dude sell that somewere else... I'm all stocked up
Old 03-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Ok so I retract my statement...I guess you are calling myself and the other guy a liar.

How about this....go to oldgobbler.com, and nwtf.com, and ask people over there how far they have shot turkeys with #7 hevi, and then you can even ask how far you can shoot turkeys with #8, and #9 heavier than lead loads. I'm sure they will be more than happy to provide you with all of the data you need. After you have done that I recommend you go out and do penetration tests on #7, #8 and #9 heavier than lead loads and compare the data.

Once you have done that you can come back on here and let us know how your mind was enlightened, and apologize for calling people liars and telling them they are full of BS. Until then I suggest you refrain from telling people they are full of BS until you have the facts.

Having said that I do not expect you to do any of those things. That is fine with me...stay stuck in your old lead mindset while myself and others continue to kill turkeys farther than you think is possible. Just dont expect me to continue this conversation any longer until you have checked all of your facts.

Happy hunting.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Ok so I retract my statement...I guess you are calling myself and the other guy a liar.

How about this....go to oldgobbler.com, and nwtf.com, and ask people over there how far they have shot turkeys with #7 hevi, and then you can even ask how far you can shoot turkeys with #8, and #9 heavier than lead loads. I'm sure they will be more than happy to provide you with all of the data you need. After you have done that I recommend you go out and do penetration tests on #7, #8 and #9 heavier than lead loads and compare the data.

Once you have done that you can come back on here and let us know how your mind was enlightened, and apologize for calling people liars and telling them they are full of BS. Until then I suggest you refrain from telling people they are full of BS until you have the facts.

Having said that I do not expect you to do any of those things. That is fine with me...stay stuck in your old lead mindset while myself and others continue to kill turkeys farther than you think is possible. Just dont expect me to continue this conversation any longer until you have checked all of your facts.

Happy hunting.

Nice post Huricane. I read the NWTF board and I am familiar with those penetration tests. Problem is, Mr Longbeard isn't interested in data, facts, or anyone else's opinion or experience. Only his opinion has merit.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Spike

Were do you get these nitros? Is there a link?

Quick Reply: Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.