Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Who do you think makes the best turkey loads? >

Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

I agree that paying for custom shells is kinda silly when a regular old turkey load will kill them just as dead inside of 45 yards. I admittedly have never used Nitros so maybe they are that much better, but they seem kinda unnecessary in 99 percent of hunting situations. I use 3 inch Winchester Supremes in #6 and if i do my part its flops them every time.

Respectfully, you state that using Nitros seems silly, then admit to never having used them. I had a similar reaction three years ago when I first became aware of them. I didn't understand the logic either. I had been taking turkeys with Federal and Winchester lead loads for years out of a beatup870 Express with a Remington extra full turkey choke. Then I picked up an old Mossburg 835 from my Dad (a gift from some friends he used to guide - they bought it in a pawn shop in Chicago on their way down from Wisconsin to waterfowl hunt with him). I shot all variety of lead turkey loads out of that Mossburg and couldn't find any that patterned to my liking. Then I picked up some Hevishot 1 3/4 oz, 3.5", #6 loads and thought I had found the ultimate. The patterns those shells threwwerevastly superior to the lead loads, and I killed two turkeys that year with them. Admittedly, those two birds were shot at 25 yards so it really didn't matter

I thought I was all set, then I became aware of the fact that a local store in my hometown sold Nitros by the shell. Ibought one load to try, the 3.5", 2.25oz 4X5X7 triplex. When I walked down to the target after shooting the shell I was blown away. That Nitro doubled the number of pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yards compared to the Hevishot loads.

I have had the good fortune to take 5 birds with this Nitro/Mossburg 835 combination using a Star Dot .676 choke. Three were less than 30 yards - Nitro unnecessary. One was at 63 yards (bang-flop) which was a mistake on my part. I snuck up on that turkey on a field edge in a high wind and he wouldn't turn around where I could see his beard. He was obviously a gobbler but I couldn't see his beard and I didn't want to shoot a jake. He was walking away from me across the open field and I finally called loud enough against that wind to get him stopped and turned around and I saw the beard. I mis-estimated the range in all the excitement - I don't intentially shoot turkeys at 63 yards. My bad, but it was a clean one-shot kill.

The last turkey I killed last season made the Nitro switch worthwhile. It was my son's turn to be the shooter (he shoots a 20 gauge). We got on a bird early and called him up a steep hollow out into a green field where we were positioned. When I first saw the bird I knew there was something different about him because he was so dark. Turns out that he was a melanistic (black color phase) gobbler - the first I had ever seen in 29 years of turkey hunting. We had a single hen decoy behind us but the turkey hung up at around fifty yards, strutting back and forth. He was out of range for my son's 20 guage and looked to be loosing interest in the situation. I decided to end the party and shot him at 49 steps.

Could a factory lead load have taken that bird at 49 steps? Maybe. But I had so much confidence that I could kill him cleanly that I didn't hesitate to take him at that distance. One-shot, bang flop. A once in a lifetime trophy, and an experience my son and I will never forget.

Where Nitros really shine is in the 20 guage. My son took his first bird last season with a youth 870 and the Nitro triplex load. 33 yards, one shot, bang-flop.

It comes down to this: hunting, like life, is full of choices. We are fotunate to live in a country where we have the freedom to choose our hunting equipment - ammo, shotguns, rifles, pistols, trucks, clothing, boots, etc. I drive a raggedy old 89 Toyota truck with 190,000 miles. My boots and camo is old, some of it cheap.

I have chosen to optimizeand invest my resourcesinthe thing that actually kills the turkey- the pellets shot from a shell through a chocked shotgun barrel. That's the reason I shoot Nitros. It is just that simple.

Are they expensive compared to lead shells - absolutely. I paid about $7.00 apiece for 6 of them. Counting the two I had from last season those 8 shells should be enough for two seasons if I am fortunate. Compared to how much money I spend on gasoline, eats, and license alone that $28.00 spent on four Nitro shells is a drop in the bucket.

Mouthcaller

Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Spike

I have never shot nitros or hevi shot either. So i have nothing to really go off. I just didn't want to pay so much for shells. Sounds like most of the guys who dont use hevi shot or nitros are shooting winchesters so i plan on picking a box of 5's and 6'sHV 3 1/2" shells and giving them a try. My first turkey i shot with a 20 ga 870 factory super full choke and some federal3" 6's 1 1/4oz turkey loads. Now i was 12 years old at the time and it was the first time me and my dad have tryed turkey hunting. It has been the biggest tom i have killed so far 22lbs 11" beard. I shot him at 46 yards. One shot is all it took and he was down call it luck or call it good aim or call it a flook. But i look back at that alot and comparedto the 20ga i use to shot I'm shooting a cannon with alot more power and alot more shot in the load. Thats one of the reasons i have thought i would have no reason to use hevi shot or nitros were i hunt.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Everybody ramps about nitro... Christ, 90% of the load is #7 shot...

I guess you do get awsome patterns with that stuff!!!

Let me guess. A number 7 hevi shot pellet has enough energy to kill a turkey out to "60 yards"

THEN YOU WOKE UP

...is it not enough energy? Just wondering.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

I now shoot hevi shot, and I'm completely pleased with it. But if you're looking to save a little money, as others have said Winchester Supremes will kill them just as dead. Another lead load that patterned very well with my setup was Federal Flite Control 3" #5s. Give them a shot while you're at it.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:51 PM

I like Remington shotguns,but my gun shoots Winchester shells best.That's not only with turkey loads but also with buckshot when deer hunting.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Spike

Ya in the past when i went to go buy ammo i found my self just buying remington ammo becasue i had a remington gun. I have never tryed any other turkey load in this gun besides remingtons. I have shot quite a few boxs of winchester sabot slugsout of this gun for deer hunting when iput the rifled barrel on andthey shot very well took a nice buck with the paration golds.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me guess. A number 7 hevi shot pellet has enough energy to kill a turkey out to "60 yards"

THEN YOU WOKE UP
Actually the load that I use from Nitro is straight #7's.....which has quite a few sub #7 pellets in it, and I have taken a few birds past 60 yards with them....two of them last year. One at 62 yards the other at 64 yards.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Spike

remington heavy shot magnum supreme 3" #5 period!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

THEN YOU WOKE UP
Actually the load that I use from Nitro is straight #7's.....which has quite a few sub #7 pellets in it, and I have taken a few birds past 60 yards with them....two of them last year. One at 62 yards the other at 64 yards.

Hurricane

This will be my 3rd season riding on the Nitro train. I think they are the best turkey load out there by a wide margin (and no, I don't work for Nitro Ray and he doesn't pay me commissions or give me free shells - I wish he did). I've participated in many threads in the last couple of years discussing a wide assortment of topics about Nitros and Hevishot loads. What I have come to realize is the following:

1. Some folks are simply resistant to change. They are happy with conventional lead shells and that's great.To each his own - that's the beauty of living inthe U.S of A.

2. Some folks are curious about Nitros and would like to try them, but the 2-3 dollar per shot difference over Hevi-13s, Winchester Extended Range, etc, is too much for them to bear.What is too muchis always a personal question, answered only by each hunter. I don't have an issue with that either.

3. Some, the purists, don't feel there is place for hevier-than-lead shot and Nitro loads because they feel it encourages hunters to take rediculously long shots.I see some merit in this line of reasoning, however, I've seen people take stupid-long shots with lead loads too. Taking appropriate shotsis always the responsibilty of the hunter - you can't legislate commen sense.

Personally, I don't have a beef with anyone who doesn't want to shoot what I shoot. I don't care one way or another. I will defend, however, my position and why I chose to shoot what I shoot.

On the other hand,Idon't tolerate well those who infer that I am a liar, such as the gentleman that you quoted in your post. I didn't dream about shooting a turkey at 60+, it happened. Just as I firmly believe you did too. I've shot the stuff, killed turkeys with it, seen it penetrate 1/4" plywood at 40 yards. I know what it will do.

Mouthcaller

Thanks for chiming in about the straight 7 Nitros. When I shoot all the triplex 4X5X7s I have on hand I plan on switching to straight 7s. Makes a lot of sense.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

Hurricane

This will be my 3rd season riding on the Nitro train. I think they are the best turkey load out there by a wide margin (and no, I don't work for Nitro Ray and he doesn't pay me commissions or give me free shells - I wish he did). I've participated in many threads in the last couple of years discussing a wide assortment of topics about Nitros and Hevishot loads. What I have come to realize is the following:

1. Some folks are simply resistant to change. They are happy with conventional lead shells and that's great.To each his own - that's the beauty of living inthe U.S of A.

2. Some folks are curious about Nitros and would like to try them, but the 2-3 dollar per shot difference over Hevi-13s, Winchester Extended Range, etc, is too much for them to bear.What is too muchis always a personal question, answered only by each hunter. I don't have an issue with that either.

3. Some, the purists, don't feel there is place for hevier-than-lead shot and Nitro loads because they feel it encourages hunters to take rediculously long shots.I see some merit in this line of reasoning, however, I've seen people take stupid-long shots with lead loads too. Taking appropriate shotsis always the responsibilty of the hunter - you can't legislate commen sense.

Personally, I don't have a beef with anyone who doesn't want to shoot what I shoot. I don't care one way or another. I will defend, however, my position and why I chose to shoot what I shoot.

On the other hand,Idon't tolerate well those who infer that I am a liar, such as the gentleman that you quoted in your post. I didn't dream about shooting a turkey at 60+, it happened. Just as I firmly believe you did too. I've shot the stuff, killed turkeys with it, seen it penetrate 1/4" plywood at 40 yards. I know what it will do.

Mouthcaller

Thanks for chiming in about the straight 7 Nitros. When I shoot all the triplex 4X5X7s I have on hand I plan on switching to straight 7s. Makes a lot of sense.
Nitro definitely makes the "best" shell. You are getting a handloaded shotgun shell....so yeah you are going to pay more for it. I truly believe that if Federal would wise up a little bit get rid of their Flitecontrol wad and replace it with a "good" one they would give those Nitro's a run for their money!

I really liked your line about taking appropriate shots being the hunters responsibility. That is the truth, and I do not think I could have said it better.

I'm not sure anyone was inferring you being a liar.....I might chalk that up to someone just not knowing the capability of the shell.

As far as shooting them at that range......well I did it on purpose. I have always said that I will shoot as far as my pattern allows, and those two were in range. I make no apologies for doing it as both were clean, ethical shots. I know what my pattern does at that range, and I know what it does at closer and even farther ranges. If someone feels they need to belittle or ridicule me (or anyone else for that matter) for taking a shot they would not.......too bad for them, honestly I really do not care. As I stated before I will shoot as far as my pattern allows.

I think you will like those straight #7's when you get them!

Quick Reply: Who do you think makes the best turkey loads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.