Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Price of Hevi Shot

Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Price of Hevi Shot

I use plain ol' lead and it gets me by. In my opinion if that bird won't come closer than 50 yards, he's won that battle anyways. I'll stick with my lead turkey loads and pay about $15.99 for 10.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NCZ09

As long as it's legal is still okay to use plain old lead? I realize this probably won't be a choice in few years, but for right now I've had good luck with regular winchester supremes. I keep my shots at 30 yards or less and have only missed one turkey in the past three seasons. An 8inch tree trunk wasn't so lucky that day. I realize you can shoot longer ranges with the new non-toxics, but I just can't justify spending that kinda of money. But what do you guys think should I be using non-toxic loads? Good Luck This Spring!!!
Of course its ok to still use plain old lead or copper plated lead! Especially if you are shooting birds in tight.

The difference is in pattern performance. The high density stuff shoots much tighter patterns and over distances that I personally won't shoot. It isn't much different than using cheap ammunition in a rifle. The cheap stuff might shoot a 3" group at 100 yards, and you'll kill deer just fine for the rest of your life with it, but some folks want to find what the gun will shoot the best and get it down to 1" at 100 yards... hevi-shot and the high density shots kinda fall into that catagory so to speak.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought acouple of five round boxes of Hevi 13s a couple of weeks ago at BPS for 15.99 per box. They were still the same when I went in earlier this week. I went online to Hevishots website and found out they were offering a $5 per 5 box rebate up to $15 total. So, after all is said and done, it should be around $11 a box.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a box of 10 from Cabelas.com for $25.99. That's for 20 gauge.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys for the comments on the use of lead shot. I will probably give high density shot a try someday, but right now I have enough lead to get me through another season or two (with a couple practice shots before season.) I live in Minnesota one 5 day season one Tom or Jake per season. I apologize if I kinda got this thread of topic.

The must popular reason that I hear for the price of ammunition is the cost of raw materials and the cost toship raw materials. At least that was the case last year. I remember when it use to go one sale. I think those days are gone.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Well, If the price of ammo is because of Iraq and Afghanastan war there is no tellin what Obama will do.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know it's painful for what you gotta pay for non-toxic loads but IMHO...the performance at any range is worth the price.

If it came down to shells or camo, I'd sew up mywoodlandmilitary pants(again) and put the $ towards a box of the hevi-stuff.

I've never shot hevi-13, but have one shell left of Rem. hevi-shot3" #4.My beard buster loves the stuff.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i picked up 2 boxes of Winchester Double X magnums for 17.99 a box of ten at cabelas. price of ammo sure is going up and up.