Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Longest distance to shoot at turkey >

Longest distance to shoot at turkey

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Longest distance to shoot at turkey

Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Default Longest distance to shoot at turkey

What is the longest distance that you will consider shooting at a turkey?Any comments on reasons behind your decision not to shoot will be greatly appreciated(too far comes to mind,LOL).
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Longest distance to shoot at turkey

I am sure people will disagree with me, but growing up and being a duck hunter as the first species I ever hunted, it has been engrained in my mind that 40 yards is about as far as you should shoot a shotgun for a clean killing shot. Of course you can shoot something farther but at what point is it ethical or not ethical. My feeling is anything beyond 40 yards is starting to get into that iffy area of killing power. Now I have read threads of people saying they can blow a head off at 65 yards. I still don't believe that is an ethical shot. Just my opinion. I have missed turkeys that are 50 to 55 yards out, I didn't think they were that far until I paced it out afterwards. I have range finder now, an I know exactly how far away my decoys are. I usually put them pretty close to me anyway. I hunt out of a ground blind in open fields so I don't worry about being snuck up on. It's harder to judge distance in an open field than amongst trees.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even though I know the Rem. Hevi shot mags will drop them at 60 yards, I prefer not to shoot past 50. My furthest killwas 52 yards. I pattern my gunat 30, 40, and50 yards, and am confident atthat range.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

I think all "how far will you shoot" thread are subjective by nature because everyone shoots different guns/shells/chokes and have different abilities and comfort levels. Personally the farthest bird I've ever shot I paced off at 53 steps. However it was a case of poor range estimation by me in the heat of the moment and had I known the exact yardage I would have held off. I think as a general rule 40-45 yards is about the farthest you should shoot. With the right load, choke and gun you might be able to stretch it out a little farther. To do this though I think you run the risk of a pattern being too tight should a bird sneak in close on you.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

GMIL saved me the typing. I strive to stay in that 40 yard range. I have only killed one bird past 30 and that was last year. He was 53 yards and I did not think so. I was sneaking around on him as he strutted down a gasline. The hen got to where I wanted to go before I did so after a belly crawl and straining from my stomach to see him he entered. I clucked, he gobbled and stretched his head. He fell where he stood but it took him a few extra seconds to die. I have the gun and the shells but I like to hit em hard when they are real close. I know the gas line is 40 yards wide and he was in it, but his angle and my straining blurred the situation.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont go any farther than 25 yards.

Im using my bow this season, I tried the gun last season and shot at one at 40 yards and missed.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont go past 30 myself. i know i still have plenty of knock down power past that range, but I like to have them closer. If i have one at 40 yards and that is as close as i can get a consider it a draw and let him live another day.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well this all depends on if you want them to die or not. If not, you can shoot them from 400 yards. If so, I wouldnt go past 45-50 yards even with the best combination. After that, even with a dense pattern at 50 yards, you lose a bunch of energy. Keep it under fifty, and find you own "MAXIMUM EFFECTIVE RANGE." Get some shells, and a bunch of targets, then you will know for sure.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
JW
Super Moderator

The distance is determined by you!

You are the one who determines the maximum lethal range from patterning your gun or bow.

Patterning shotguns has been discussed on this board in length. SwampCollie has a good post pinned up above.

JW
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

With my gun and its pattern i am comfident out to about 60 yards. 65 yards would be my max.

Quick Reply: Longest distance to shoot at turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.