HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Using a Scope VS Open Sites (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/288218-using-scope-vs-open-sites.html)

kpatte26 03-03-2009 12:50 AM

Using a Scope VS Open Sites

This has been one of the most difficult decisions for me to make and I would love a little input/advice/or whatever you may want to call it on this decision.

This is where my sitation develops...

Currently I have a Mossburg 835 Ultimag with the standard factory choke, and Tru-Glo open sights that I know I can drive tacksat45 yards or less. Ialso know what my gun is capable of shooting out to 55 yards.
I have read a number of articles that favor using a scope in addition to that I like the idea of having a scope on my gun...
I love the open sights partly because I am old school and believe in simpler is better...
The idea of pulling up on a bird to have the batteries go dead makes me sick just sitting here thinking about it!
So with all this in mind would those hunters who are wiser and more knowledgeable please provide some insight!

Hereare some questions I have been considering!

1. What would the advantages be for me keeping the open sights?
2. What would the advantages be for me putting a scope on my gun?
3. Is there a scope that would allow me to still use my open sights in the event of a mechanical failure?
4. What will the total cost of a scope be to mount and then sight in for my gun?

Thanks in advance!

fantail 03-03-2009 03:14 AM

RE: Using a Scope VS Open Sites

I used a red dot for 1 season. I never had battery issues and could see my bead under the mount. The problem I ran into was it got knocked off zero and caused me to miss a bird. The only thing that hit that turkey was dirt because I shot about 2 feet low. I also didn't like the extra weight.

I understand you are asking about a regular scope, but I think the things I didn't like about the red dot could apply to a scope.

mlo31351270 03-03-2009 03:55 AM

I find no use for a scope on my turkey gun. For me open sights work great. One advantage of open sights is that it is already on your gun and they are deadly.

firelt72 03-03-2009 04:10 AM

I have not used it this year but I have my brothers EO Tech sight he used on his SWAT Team entry weapon. I am looking forward to taking that first bird with it...We lost him last fall. I will let you know how I like it after I fire it.

mouthcaller 03-03-2009 04:22 AM

Kpatte

Take a look about 5 threads below this one for comments about sighting systems. I have copied and pasted my post in that thread below.

I went from open sights to a low-power scope on my 835. I usedthe Tru-glo fiber optic sights for one season but got rid of them (personal preference) because I felt they were too big and obscured too much of the target. I also (personal opinion) didn't think much of their construction. They seemed (again, personal opinion) flimsy and cheap. My father had an identical sight and the rear sight broke and came off the third time out (and I know it was mounted correctly because Imountedit).

If I desired to stick with open sights I would use a good set of Williams sights. They are steel, more durable, and mount more securely.

My low power scope is a Bushnell Trophy 1.75 X 4 mounted in a set of Traditions rings and Leupold bases. It is a decent scope, nothing special. It has performed perfectly intwo seasons of use (6 turkeys, several shots to get it sighted in). I added the Butler Creek flip off scope covers. Total cost wasapprox $140.00 - 160.00. The scope was on special at BSP I got the bases and rings off ebay.

I would strongly advice you to avoid "see through" mounts if you go with a scope. These mounts place you head in the wrong position (way too high) off the gun stock. Go with one sighting system and stick with it would be my advice. Personably, I think agoodscope mounted correctly in good mounts is far more durable than cheap open sights, which catch every limb and vine as you walk through the woods. In 30+ years of deer hunting with scoped rifles I've never once had an issue with a scope.

From the other thread:
I eventually went with a low power scope, Bushnell Trophy 1.75 X 4 with the circle X reticle. This isn't an expensive scope but it has held up fine thus far. I would have prefered a Nikon Monarch or Leupold but didn't have the Jack at the time to buy one.

After two complete seasons of use I have really enjoyed the scope. I leave it on 1.75 or 2 X, but it is nice to be able to dial it up to 4X occasionally to look at a turkey if I don't want to drop the gun and grab the binos. One needs to be careful not to underestimate the range even at the lowest settings, as the bird will appear closer than he is. Since I am left eye dominant that isn't a problem for me because I have to shut my left eye anyway to look through the scope. I simply open my left eye and slowly move my head slightly to the left to see the turkey with both eyes and range him.

The scope works in any light during hunting situations. Turkeys are called and shot after it gets plenty bright enough to see and they fly up to roost well before dark.

I don't have to worry about batteries running out of power or electrical gizmo malfunctions.

Using the butler creek snap open scope covers the glass stays dry, clearand free of mud.

A goodscope with quality mounts seems more durable to me than the red dots that I handled. That is a subjective observation on my part.

mouthcaller 03-03-2009 04:50 AM

ORIGINAL: firelt72

I have not used it this year but I have my brothers EO Tech sight he used on his SWAT Team entry weapon. I am looking forward to taking that first bird with it...We lost him last fall. I will let you know how I like it after I fire it.

Very sorry about the loss of your brother. I'm sure you will think of him everytime you use that sight.

Mouthcaller

buckmarlin 03-03-2009 05:15 AM

I use my open sites. I have no use for a scope. I'm kind of old school. I like the challenges of what techno gadgets take away from the sport. It's like fishing with old that technology......I just like to get outdoors and match you wits with wildlife. I find it rewarding.

krabbiepatty 03-03-2009 06:12 AM

I have killed 6 gobblers with open sights with not a single miss. I dont see the point in having a scope but then again I can see very well. I always figured that maybe the reason people put scopes on turkey guns was maybe that they just needed help seeing? Is this the case?

RIStrutStopper 03-03-2009 06:15 AM

I had a low power scope on my 870 for 2 reasons. One, I like a scope on my slug gun and used the same receiver with a different barrel for turkey, and the vrb only had a front bead. It worked well for me, but my last bird I took with it was at a wierd angle and I ended up with scope eye. My 835 had tru glo sites on it when I picked it up, and it shot a full 9" high with no more room for adjustment. I took 2 birds with it last season, remembering to hold low, and I kinda liked the open sites. I picked up some pro series magnum gobble dots so I'd have more room for adjustment instead of getting a scope for it. I haven't sighted in yet, but I figure if I got scope eye from an 870 with a 28" barrel, I'll be walking around with an eye patch if I put a scope on my 835 with a 20" barrel, especially since I shoot 3.5" loads.

hoosierHUNTER76 03-03-2009 06:27 AM

if you want a scope look for the tru glo rutt&strut its 69.99 and it comes with rings