Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Using a Scope VS Open Sites >

Using a Scope VS Open Sites

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Using a Scope VS Open Sites

Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Using a Scope VS Open Sites

I use a Mueller 2-7 "Multi Shot" on my 870 Supermag for a couple of reasons.........one it's shooting 3.5" Hevi #6's with an Indian creek BDS tube and is capable of honest 60 yard killing patterns.
That sort of range on a hung up bird in a field demands precise aiming. Don't know if I'll ever use it for that but it's there and certainly capable.

It also shoots such tight groups at 10-20 yards that it's almost like shooting a rifle, with open sights it's easier to get your head off the stock and not line those sights up exactly right in the heat of the moment.
With the circle/crosshair reticle if the birds neck is centered in the circle that's all I need to know.

Also here in PA we need to have a visible beard to make a legal tom even if he's a million years old with foot long spurs. LOL It's nice being able to slide the power up to 7X to evaluate an approaching tom (or toms) without having to reach for your binos. I'd never use it to look at an unidentified object (potentially another hunter) but it is nice when you have a bird in sight.

The exact model scope that I picked has a red dot center reticle with crosshairs and circle.
That's a nice feature because I don't rely on batteries.......if they die no big deal they were a luxury anyway and I still have the normal crosshairs.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

I had a low power scope on my 870 for 2 reasons. One, I like a scope on my slug gun and used the same receiver with a different barrel for turkey, and the vrb only had a front bead. It worked well for me, but my last bird I took with it was at a wierd angle and I ended up with scope eye. My 835 had tru glo sites on it when I picked it up, and it shot a full 9" high with no more room for adjustment. I took 2 birds with it last season, remembering to hold low, and I kinda liked the open sites. I picked up some pro series magnum gobble dots so I'd have more room for adjustment instead of getting a scope for it. I haven't sighted in yet, but I figure if I got scope eye from an 870 with a 28" barrel, I'll be walking around with an eye patch if I put a scope on my 835 with a 20" barrel, especially since I shoot 3.5" loads.
WHOA!!! that sux about the scope eye. I can see why if you can only get it sighted in 9 inches high with open sights. Did you try different load/choke combos. I bought a jelly head choke and different brands of ammo. I had good luck with the remington nitros. They are only 6 or 7 bucks per box and I plastered a big ol tom at 53 steps last year. i'm pretty long legged so that should be really close to 53 yards.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: krabbiepatty

I have killed 6 gobblers with open sights with not a single miss. I dont see the point in having a scope but then again I can see very well. I always figured that maybe the reason people put scopes on turkey guns was maybe that they just needed help seeing? Is this the case?
No

With modern chokes, improvements in shotshells and the introduction of "heavier than lead" shot the pattern sizes have gotten tighter and tighter. My 20 yard core pattern is about the size of an orange orgrapefruit. I chose to use a scope to improve my aim. I can see just fine.

Bead sights were just fine for the first 27 years I turkey hunted. Now I'm fearful of missing at closer ranges with the loads and chokes I'm using.

Bead sights are not adjustable either. When your pattern tightens and you practice enough, you begin to realize that each choke/load combination patterns to a different POI.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

I have killed 6 gobblers with open sights with not a single miss. I dont see the point in having a scope but then again I can see very well. I always figured that maybe the reason people put scopes on turkey guns was maybe that they just needed help seeing? Is this the case?
No

With modern chokes, improvements in shotshells and the introduction of "heavier than lead" shot the pattern sizes have gotten tighter and tighter. My 20 yard core pattern is about the size of an orange orgrapefruit. I chose to use a scope to improve my aim. I can see just fine.

Bead sights were just fine for the first 27 years I turkey hunted. Now I'm fearful of missing at closer ranges with the loads and chokes I'm using.

Bead sights are not adjustable either. When your pattern tightens and you practice enough, you begin to realize that each choke/load combination patterns to a different POI.
thanks, mouthcaller. that helps me understand. its kind of like that patternmaster choke i shoot ducks with. i cant hit a freaking thing upclose with it because it patterns so tight. one more question. do the low power turkey scopes require a battery? i read on some of the previous posts that the poster was worried about his battery dying on him. i have never had a scope that required a battery.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

No battery unless it has a illuminated reticle. Red dots and holographic sights require batteries. The low power scope I'm referring to is just a plain 'ol riflescope. Just glass, no batteries.

Below is a link to the one I have (except mine is black - I'm not into camo guns). It's isn't the best by any means but has served me well thus far.

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_trophy_73-1422ap.cfm

Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Hey mouthcaller thank you for the kind words..He actually bought the shotgun too..and my sons (Long story) I will more than likely cry like a little school girl when I take that first bird, after that I will always feel a connection with him when I take a bird. I look forward to the spring. Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

WHOA!!! that sux about the scope eye. I can see why if you can only get it sighted in 9 inches high with open sights. Did you try different load/choke combos. I bought a jelly head choke and different brands of ammo. I had good luck with the remington nitros. They are only 6 or 7 bucks per box and I plastered a big ol tom at 53 steps last year. i'm pretty long legged so that should be really close to 53 yards.
Krabbie- The scope eye was from my 870, the 9" high pattern is from my 835. The 835 kicks way more than the 870 so I really would have to watch eye relief if I put a scope on it. The new sights I got for my 835 should fix the problem tho, and I got a deal on them for $15 off ebay. Those sights are normally about $50. I'm using a jelly head with Hevi-13's and my patterns are okay, just have to dial the gun in so I don't have to remember to aim low.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

firelt72

I know how you feel. I lost my turkey hunting mentor and great friend in 1998. He was only 38 and we still don't really know what happened, they just found him dead at home one day. He and I spent many nights in a muddy tent somewhere in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Missouri chasing turkeys. He was a bigger than life person - elk guide in the fall in Colorado, made the NWTF Grand National finals calling contest several times. He was with me when I killed my firstturkey in Greene County, Alabama, in 1983. I will never forget that day.

I took a feather from the fan of that turkey and put it in his casket before they shut it up and lowered it into the ground.

Every turkey I kill now I thank God for and dedicate it to my friend Al. I know he's up there with a grin on his faceand enjoying the moment with each one. Actually a part of him is still with me. When I'm working a bird I sometimes ask Al what he would do now. I'll never fully get over his early departure from this earth, but I owe much of my love for this great sport to our friendship and the time we spent together turkey hunting.

When you take the first bird with that sight go ahead and let the emotion out - it's OK. That connection you feel with your brother will never go away, and that ultimately is a good thing.

Best wishes

Mouthcaller