Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How obsessed are you?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How obsessed are you?

What about setting the decoys in the backyard, forgetting about them, and when ya come around the corner you freeze. That'll get the heart going.

Setting up the Ole Pop-up Blind in front of the Big Screen TV - grabbing a few trusty well sued turkey calls andwatching a Turkey DVD with sourround sound UP REAL LOUD!
I'm gonna have to try that. Wife is sick of me having a call in my mouth all day now. She'll crap when she sees that

Old 02-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've set the blind up in the living room and even got in with my bow just to check window heights again.
I set up my dekes in the yard and also leave them set up in my den all around the room. my ringtone is a yelp followed by a gobble and then boom. and the only song my radio plays is "hung up" by rhett akins. my screen saver and backgrundon every computer is a strutting gobbler. I'm typing this with a mouth call in as we speak.
i even dream turkeys every night till season is over.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I woke up this morning with my head tucked under my arm and perched on the head board!

JW
Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

All the above and more.

Like JW said, yes, I have the addiction, please don't help me.........

Got a new son, 3 months old, our first, he gets about 50 / 50 my voice and me just talking turkey to him with the mouth calls. I get to practice and he seems to like it, makes him grin from ear to ear, especially the fighting purr!

Also, I have brainstorming an addition for my turkey vest that will allow me to bring him along with me a kind of a large pouch that his movements could be hidden but his head would be visable so he can see and I was thinking of one of those camel back hydrators filled with formulae, he can eat when he wants, and I'll only have to stop every couple hours and take him out of the 'mini-blind' to change his diaper!

I'm going to give him a pass this year, but hopefully next year at 18 months he'll be ready to go that will be crazy!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkey hunting is the most exciting thing you can do with your clothes on. Here are a few results of my 7 year(and counting) turkey hunting addiction. I have 7 or 8 hunting decals on the truck, all of them pertain to turkeys.....big deal I know. Bobble head gobbler on the dash. Spur necklace hanging from the mirror. Wing and tail feathers stickin out from under the sides ofmy truck'stool box. MyCB handle is Longbeard when I'm ridin trails with buddies back home. Turkey fans and beards scattered throughout the house in random places. I find calls and strikers in random places around the house. I have at least 3 mouth calls in my truck's ashtray atALL TIMES no matter what time of year it is, and I use them almost every day year round. I'm constantly hootin and gobbling in public places, gotta practice ya know. Alarm clock is a gobble year round, text message alert is a cuttin hen year round. I once made my own decoy out of a basketball and real feathers, carved the head outta styrofoam and painted it, then took multiple pictures like an addicted redneck would. Watch Preston Pittman and gobbler guillotine head shotson youtube almost every day. Would rather kill a nice 2 year old bird than a 130" buck any day. Put on my vest every other day while sittin at the house, just because. Read anything and everything I can get my hands on about killin turkeys.Framed pictures of turkeys in mycomputer room. MY #1 TOMINATORS POSTER HANGS ABOVE THE COMPUTER AT ALL TIMES! ......I could probably go on, but I think that shows you how much I love killin turks. Can't wait to get started March 16th, exactly one month away!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have called up Trees for hours. The 2 trees were making a clucking sound and I worked them for and couple hours. Calling contests! Paint the front 1/2 of the Sight., Got to POOP at the crack of day light., Sit sooooooo still working a Gobbler I almost passed out., Bought Tame Turkeys just to hear them Gobble and Callk., Had my wife make me a Camo Coat. I have made Turkey calls, Have a Turkey carved in my knife handle, Camo House Slippers, Spend 300 a year on Corn, Made a homemade decoy, Wake up at 1:00 the day 1 and go to the coffee shop to talk turkey. Painted my Jeep Camo, Called to Tame turkeys for hours to find out they were in a Pen. Called soooooo much my mouth was sore and had to use a box call.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been a lost cause for years now, lol......i live for turkeysEver since my first turkey sighting i have been a goner and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:06 AM
Spike

I have been recording myself on my phone and sending it to my buddies....only one of em turkey hunts!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunter0206

I have been recording myself on my phone and sending it to my buddies....only one of em turkey hunts!
now thats what i'm talking about.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Spike

YES TO ALL, and no he has not lost his mind. he might have a little cabin fever but not crazy.. but then my fiancee has always said I am a little crazy I get up in the early morning and go out to listen for birds, to gobble weeks before they might; even think about gobbling..but its part of the fever, and scouting has always played a big part of turkey season.. Then just as season comes around The calls never leave the truck unless I am hunting with them and I practice every time I get in and have to call at every turkey I see in a field...not passion Obsession...

Quick Reply: How obsessed are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.