HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Primos Calls (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/286416-primos-calls.html)

wis_rifle_hunter 02-14-2009 02:42 PM

Primos Calls

i went to cabelas today and bought some turkey calls with my gift cards. i got the Ol' Betsy slate call and the Wet Box box call. I was just wondering if any of you use those and how you like them. I needed some new calls for this upcoming season. My other ones were in pretty bad shape. Any input would be much appriciated.

fingerz42 02-14-2009 05:34 PM

RE: Primos Calls

I, too, went to cabelas today and picked up a few primos calls that I have heard were good. I got the Primos signature series diaphragm calls of Will Primos and Troy Ruiz. They both sound good, but if I had to choose I like the WP call a bit more. The TR is more of a close-in type call.

NCZ09 02-14-2009 05:34 PM

I called in and shot my first turkey using anOl' Betsy slate. WhenI first started hunting a few years ago. It was the first call I was comfortable using and thought I actually had a chance of calling a turkey in with. I'm better with mouth calls now, but still like using the Ol' Betsy slate. It's easy to use and makes decent calls I think. I have no experience with box calls. Good Luck This Spring!!!

wis_rifle_hunter 02-15-2009 07:56 AM

i might go out and get some more strikers because the one it came with isnt verygood. i dont like using wood ones.

MN/Kyle 02-15-2009 08:29 AM

I love Primos Turkey calls.

My go to call is the primos jackpot slate with the kee kee striker.

I love my WP-1 diaphram also.

Otsdawa_Game_Hunter 02-15-2009 09:16 AM

Having hunted the wild turkey since the mide 80's I've seen many different types of calls. Heck my first diaphram call was an old double reed from Kelly Calls. I think it's all about personal preference. Your ear might be a bit different from the next guy so it's all up to what you want to try. In the last few years I've been using HS Strut diaphrams and Knight N Hale friction calls. Mr. Longbeard could care less what brand you are using as long as it sounds genuine to him, he is a happy man. My suggestion is to buy a few different brands and see what you like. You might put one brand of call in your mouth and hate the way it fits while your hunting buddy absolutely loves them. Keep a few of them in a holder and try to get a variety of different friction calls. If you are working birds and they have been hearing the same old call they will wisen up real quick and you will want to switch calling tones, calling sequences, durations and set up locations. Don't waste your money on locator calls either....If that bird wants to gobble off the roost he will do it when he's ready. If they are already on the ground and shut up on you then give it a while...they'll start gobbling again and always keep a sharp eye out on a less dominate bird who's sneaking in quietly.

Best of luck to you this Season,
Mack

Bernie P. 02-16-2009 06:38 AM

The only Primos calls I tried are their wood owl hooter and the True double mouth call.I hated the mouth call!That thing is way to thick and you need an anvil and hammer to bend it.Not that you'll ever get it to fit/feel right anyway.The owl call is ok but I'll stick with HS and Quaker Boy.

superstrutter 02-16-2009 07:30 AM

I've never used the ones you stated, but I do have and use several Primos calls. I have the Jackpot glass call that I sometimes use. I probably use the Piggy Back stacked True Triple more than any other mouth call. I like a raspy mouth call, and this fits the bill.When I want a little higher pitch, I go with one of the Diamond series calls by Primos.

RIStrutStopper 02-16-2009 08:03 PM

My go-to call is the Primos Power Crystal.

rage2blade 02-16-2009 08:56 PM

you bought some great calls...money well spent!