Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Time of day

Old 02-13-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Time of day

mid morning
Old 02-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive killed em from fly down to about 0930 or so...

i will be honest though, i used to not hunt much past 10...heck, i still dont do it all the time...depends where im hunting...ive noticed around home, my farmland birds arent very active past 9am..they hit the fields and thats that...and yes they stay out there all day...

if im in big woods i can hunt clear till noon and enjoy the day and usually strike up a bird...

guess i killed 2 right off the roost...1 i got SUPER lucky and slipped practically right under a couple gobblers...the foliage was much thicker than anywhere else i seen that spring and i had no idea they were RIGHT there till i setup and did some tree yelps and a flydown and looked up and there they were...gobbling going nuts...i have NO idea why it worked out...but they both pitched right down to me...no decoy...calling to them and could see them...it should have never worked...but i wont complain! skipped school that day and made it home before mom left for work and before the bus even came

the other i worked right off the roost...hen brought him in strutting...think it was 645 or so...

all depends on the location and the birds...im working on the patience thing and staying out clear till noon(quitting time in PA) just found it to be a waste of time when im home on farmland...actually dislike hunting birds at home for the most part...not into hunting fields...just me...

Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of mine have been before 8 am. course i have to be at work by 10 on the days i work. i put all my scouting to work to try and get the bird as quckly as possible. the longer he stays out the more chance he has to build up his hens. and the harder it gets for my land.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Minnesota we only get to hunt one 5 day season. So I take a few days off from work and plan on hunting all day. I love hunting early mornings, but most of my birds have beentaken between 9:00 and 10:00.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Spike

I've had most success around 12:30 - 2:00, but thats killin turkeys... most gobblin i hear is in the morning time.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The majority of mine have been with in 2 hours after fly down. I dont hunt very much mid morning if i do i am trying to put the stalk on a bird. I do like a good afternoon-evening hunt as they make there way to the roost. it may mess the area up but it is very successful.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed most of my birds in the first two hours of daylight. Another good time period for me has been late afternoon.I have killed several between 4:00 and 5:30.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:03 PM

Love the mornings for all the gobbling but mid morning is the time to kill
Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Most birds I have killed or worked with dif outcome have been early. But the birds that have
been the easiest to call in are ones i've located after 10:30. Here in MO daily season ends
at 1:00 pm, so i've had to leave some gobblin - hard thing to do.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:06 AM
Spike

I have my best luck at mid morning and later in the evening. For some reason I do not have a lot of luck early morning. The best turkey I took was around 7:30pm. You just never know!

Quick Reply: Time of day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.