Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Do you use a Tom/Jake decoy with your hen? >

Do you use a Tom/Jake decoy with your hen?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do you use a Tom/Jake decoy with your hen?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do you use a Tom/Jake decoy with your hen?

Do you use a Tom/Jake decoy with your hen? When early or late and Jake or Tom? Thinking bout gettin a tom/jake dont know which one I like the pretty boy's.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 PM
G92
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you use a Tom/Jake decoy with your hen?

nope i hunt puplic land and that would be super dangerous and i dont think it works to well wer i hunt either.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Fork Horn

In the last few years I believe my Jake dekes have hurt me several times on tom's. I used my b-mobile a few times with success but i hunt alot of public ground and very few fields so B-mobile makes me nervous on those grounds and he stays at home. I think I will go back to my hens only approach this year and see what happens.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Early inthe season, I'll use a jake along with the hen. But late in the season, especially on public land, I think they get wary of jake-hen combo's if they've been hunted.Then I'll go with just a hen or nothing at all.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a flock set of decoys that comes with a jake decoy, andI carry them with me each time I hit the spring woods. The only birds that got spooked when I had them out (3 times in 20 years)were jakes!!! Since I don't shoot jakes, I don't really care if they get spookedanyway.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a b-mobile and i put a jake fan on it and i cut the beard shorter. I use that with a lone hen and it works out pretty good usually.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Really havent used decoy's much... I think I may give them a try this spring... I was thinking about the bobblehead hen
Old 02-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Im gonna try a pretty boy i think this year.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

I used a B-mobile decoy with a couple hen decoys last season. I had aTom hang up 10 yds out of shooting rangelast season withhim, and thedecoy seemed to be the reason this time. He was a nice bird but probably younger. I shot a tom 2 days later in the same area with no decoys.I do like using decoys when possible just not sure abouttom and jakes.I willprobably use thetom decoy the 1st couple of days of the season to see what happens.I actually thought aboutputting a string on B-mobile and jerking him to the ground if a bird hangs up.It will either send him the other direction orhe'll come andkick theheck out of the decoy. Shot a turkey two seasons ago over one that was already on the ground. It may be stupid idea, but it would be a great story if worked.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

I used the B-Mobile last year with two hens and called in a Tom within 20 minutes of the hunt. My hunting buddy shot him. We let him lay b/c the Toms were still gobbling. I called in three more Toms and took one. In the 5 turkey hunts I had last year using this setup I called in 30 birds.

Quick Reply: Do you use a Tom/Jake decoy with your hen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.