Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Bowhunt turkey--aim where? >

Bowhunt turkey--aim where?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bowhunt turkey--aim where?

Old 02-04-2009, 06:23 PM

Default RE: Bowhunt turkey--aim where?

Great question. I always wondered that myself. I figured I would just use those gillatine braodheads. They take the head clean off.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree about re-thinking slick tricks for use on turkeys. I shoot slicks myself for deer and I love'm dearly. But you want your arrow to idealy stay in a turkey. Add in that they don't hardly ever hold still worth a damn and you'll want all the forgiveness you can get. I personally shoot Rocket Hammerheads because they are like the most freakin' haneous broadhead around that won't cut a bird in half and they use an insane amount of energy upon opening (which with turkeys is a positive thing). I am thinking about trying out bullheads this year though... I think that might be kinda cool.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, got me thinking again, lol. What about NAP Spitfire Gobbler Getter Broadheads , with a name like gobbler getter, is this a good head? I'm not against shooting a different head, just know that the slick tricks shoot great for me.
Thanks
Dandbuck
Rob, thanks for the pics,
Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dandbuck

Ok, got me thinking again, lol. What about NAP Spitfire Gobbler Getter Broadheads , with a name like gobbler getter, is this a good head? I'm not against shooting a different head, just know that the slick tricks shoot great for me.
Thanks
Dandbuck
Rob, thanks for the pics,
I've never shot them. I took a look at the Cabela's site and read the customer reviews (in my experience these things are a good way to really get a feel for what people think about products because there is no bull attached). Out of 11 reviews.... 9 people said they were awesome... five stars out of five...... the other two said they sucked.... one guy said he shot a jake at 15 yards and the broadhead bounced off (that is quite a pile of rubbish unless he was shooting a Lil' Banshee) and the other guy said that they hit like six inches away from his field points at 30 yards or something like that. He probably has an untuned bow. By and large they seem to have quite a strong following. NAP makes good stuff anyway and they put a lot of R&D in their products, so I really wouldn't hesitate to shoot any head they make.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

I kind of do the same with regards to reviews, it does give a good indication. Myself, i have never left a review good or bad, so who knows.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM

I shot a jake this fall with just normal 3 blade muzzys and it only went about twenty and fell over. But for the spring im thinking of switching to large cutting diameter expandible like grim reaper or Rage. the shot was about ten yards and i got a complete pass through pulling 55 lbs out of a 2005 Fred bear obsession.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

i too shot one this fall w/ a rocket sidewinder.....it was sharply quartering away.....the arrow went in off its back leg and through the middle of its breast plate...the bird went nowhere!

DP
Old 02-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have been told to shoot with them just slightly quartering away and to try and shoot through the wing as well... I guess this will slow the arrow from going all the way through and it will hopefully prevent flyaways... is this true?
Old 02-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorsman4life_103

I have been told to shoot with them just slightly quartering away and to try and shoot through the wing as well... I guess this will slow the arrow from going all the way through and it will hopefully prevent flyaways... is this true?
I don't know. I can tell you that I have always had a pass thru on turkeys no matter what direction they were facing, and to be honest it has not made a difference. Hit them where you are supposed to and they will go down. If you make a marginal hit then it really doesn't matter which broadhead you use.