Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

#7 lead for turkey

Old 01-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default #7 lead for turkey

Has anyone ever used #7 shot lead for turkey? What is the maximum range of this load? I know federal used to make it years ago. Now I see Fiocchi makes them now.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: #7 lead for turkey

I never shot any #7 lead, but have killed a number of turkeys with 7 1/2 lead shot...Years ago before buffered loads of #6 shot and heavier were available , 7 1/2 was quite popular in some areas, due to the dense patterns that the high pellet count provides.. I never took a shot past about 30 yards with it, but it worked great at 30 yards and under...At normal woods ranges of 20-30 yards, a big gobbler will absolutely WITHER with a load of 7 1/2s to the head and neck...
Old 01-31-2009, 03:32 PM
JW
Super Moderator

There is no way I would use #7 or 7.5 on a turkey. Your effective killing range would be no more than 20 yards.

Can it be done?
You betcha. but today's turkey loads are designed for maximum penetration and velocity. The cheaper loads are copper or nickel plated lead while the more expensive loads are bismuth or hevi-shot (non-lead variety). Much better than plain ole chilled lead shot. The plating helps with penetration. That is what gives you better patterns using many of the cutom extended extra full shotgun chokes. Higher muzzle velocity gives you better penetration/ better patternswhich helps us put that turkey down quickly with a well placed shot to the head and neck region.

For many years I religiously used #6's but have since gone to #4's as that load provides the highest muzzle velocity which extended my lethal range better than 5 yards!

The load I use has 1300 FPS.

The other thing you need to check is your states game laws. Most states dictate what shot sizes can be used. 7s or 7.5 may not be on that list.

JW

Old 01-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deleted for skirting the profanity filter. Spell it out and if it's allowed, so be it if not, do not skirt it. It's in place for a reason. Please reread posting rule 1.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Good points Pygmy and I also am not here to start anything.

By far I am no expert and I quoted what I use in my gun what has proven to be effective for me. While I killed many turkeys with #6 - the #4 proved at the target range to be more effective and gave me a better pattern from 20 to 40 yards plus. The plus only if I needed it. I try to get the bird up close and personal (my average is 21-22 paces from where I shot) - that is just me. I have yet to loose a bird using 4s - did loose a few with 6s and always wondered why. Since I went to 4s I hardly ever have a bird that flops all over the place like I did with 6s.

Now I use many 7.5 inch rounds but more for close personal game bird shooting such as quail, woodcock and grouse. There ifI have a body shot I still get the bird. I am more concerned with people just starting out thinking any old shot shell will work. Well will it? Yes as you stated if they have done their homework anddo take careful aim. Is that the case 100% of the time? No - we read it here all the time as I got this bird at some unbelievable yardage. is it a true statement? Yes but how many have taken - shots only to cripple and we never hear about that. Oh and I do not use these 7.5 on pheasant at all.

And I did state 7s would kill a turkey - but I find it hard to believe that at ranges 30-40 yards you would kill that bird dead every time. I am going back from past experience using 6s and thus my statement or my opinion.

My statement on velocity - It is my understanding in the load I use (Winchester Supremes) is that the shot charge is reduced and not maxed. The result is less punishing recoil with a bit higher velocity as stated on the box.

Now again by far I am NO reloading expert. So if I have stated something in error - show me the way as I may learn something once again and that is a good thing. The time I stop learning is when I am in the ground - hey but who knows! Being old does not mean one can't learn.

I know people hate this statement - but In My Opinion - why use 7.5 or 7s at all. But as I stated and I do agree- will it kill turkeys??? U betcha! I do know of a young man who used a 410 with 7.5 and killed 2 in one shot. Butthat is another story.

JW
Old 01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

I would suggest you use HeviShot if you are seton using 7 shot. Because of its added density and hardness over lead, downrange energy will be greater than lead, and it will not deform like lead, giving better pattern performance.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just read Tom Kellys book Absent Companions... And he was talking about that, in the first couple pages of the book... He said that winchester did some test and came up with the magic number of 2ft lbs of energy was needed to kill a turkey ands that the #7 lead loads were only good out to 23 yards... So I guess with a little luck you might be ok out to 30... So I'll disregard anything past 30 yards as BS..

Old 02-01-2009, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deleted for skirting the profanity filter. Don't edit a word yourself, let the filter do it's job.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Profanity filter..??.. Hehehehe... The marvels of modern science......

No problem.... I can play by the rules, dad gum it......What do I click on to find " Posting rule # 1"...??...

I see that F D A made it through when MrLongbeard posted it in reply to my thread..

I assume that means " Foolish Durned Amateur "........
Old 02-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I really think that anybody today that shoots anything smaller than #6 shot should just stay out of the woods because you are a F D A
You have a serious affliction Mr. Longbeard.

Quick Reply: #7 lead for turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.