Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 ADVICE ON QUALITY BOX OR SLATE CALL >

ADVICE ON QUALITY BOX OR SLATE CALL

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

ADVICE ON QUALITY BOX OR SLATE CALL

Old 01-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default ADVICE ON QUALITY BOX OR SLATE CALL

thanks for the help

I have been using a box call for a couple of years, the "long spur". i don't like the sound it makes and i am looking to try some new calls. so far i have tried a couple, i really like the "real hen" box call, it has a very good sound. the lynch box call didn't have a sound i liked but it really reached out there and got shock gobbles when my other box couldn't. is there any other calls out there that you know have a very good sounding yelp and cluck that you would recommend that i go try out.

i am also looking into a new slate or glasscall, one that can really hit a good loudpurr. last year i bought the primos "the freak", i don't like it that much. sometimes i can get it to purr real good, but if i am purring and clucking for an extended period of time it will start to skip.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ADVICE ON QUALITY BOX OR SLATE CALL

My go to call is an inexpensive H.S. Strut Field Champion Natural box call. For some reason it just talks turkey.
The Lynch World Champion and Foolproof have also been good producers for me.

As far as slates go I have had very good success with A+J Turkey Calls. They talk turkey and look good to boot. You can find them here
http://www.a-jcalls.net/shop/index.php
Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a good quality custom pot call. I am sure you would like the sound of the purrs.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

go to www.midwestturkeycalls.commany custom calls you will the that place

Old 01-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the help guys, i am researching the calls that they have. i am supprised to see the prices far under what i expected them to have for a custom call.

i will have to update if i get something that works real good.

if there are any more suggestions, don't hesitate to post it so i can look into that as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

pay attention for your pot call what kind of striker u use!!! i really like the graphite strikers they seem to work the best for me! quaker boy makes some great calls!

DP
Old 01-29-2009, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

I'm surprised you didn't care for the Freak. I've always had a lot of success with Primos calls. But if you can get you hands on a couple custom calls give them a try. There are a lot of very talented call makers out there and like you said they aren't much more expensive then most commercial calls.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

i went to the website www.midwestturkeycalls.comand contacted their customer service with some questions. they sent me an email back with some answers to my questions, i didn't think of the striker being most of my problem. below is the email they sent back to me.

Victor,
There is one call that Rod Benson uses on his DVDs (search #RB12)
on our website, but actually most slates and glasses are good. Alot has to do with the striker - ones that bite best for purring.
Two I would suggest are the WoodHaven 2 piece birch (#WH516B) catalog page 65 and the Cody #C012 Carbon Tipped Hickory, catalog page 37.
Also if you choke up (gip higher toward top) on your striker, you will be able to get a better leverage for aggressive purrs & cutts.
George

Old 01-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love the Lynch's Fool Proof box call. Can't go wrong.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mad calls River Otter works great. Never needs chalked and works good when wet. Perfect for those drizzly days.

Quick Reply: ADVICE ON QUALITY BOX OR SLATE CALL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.