Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 ADVICE ON QUALITY BOX OR SLATE CALL >

ADVICE ON QUALITY BOX OR SLATE CALL

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

ADVICE ON QUALITY BOX OR SLATE CALL

Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ADVICE ON QUALITY BOX OR SLATE CALL

Bob Harwell in South Carolina makes a very fine box custom box call..Bob was a protege' of the late Neil Cost, one of the most famous makers of fine box calls...

My favorite production type box call has always been the Lynch Foolproof..Some sound better than others, but I've never run one that didn't sound like a turkey... Mine was made in the late 60s, and has accounted for many turkeys since then..
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use pot calls made by Steve Harrison

http://www.harrisongamecalls.com/

Top quality calls
Old 01-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks to all that has replied to vmartin's thread. I am currently trying to guess which calls to use. I am planning on a spring hunt up herethis year and really have no idea on which calls to use..
Old 01-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try out some "Cody Calls." I have a custom one. It works wonders.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Go to a Gander Mountain.
They usely have a bunch set up to try before you buy.

I hope this helps.

JMHO
Old 02-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with what Pygmy said about Bob Harwell. Also I would recommond very highly Jerry Zebro
custom calls www.turkeymountain.homestead.com
You will be blownaway with Jerry's calls and I mean that.

For a good sounding, well made custom friction call I would suggest www.magnoliacalls.com
and I would also suggest you look at Ol'Yellar by Knight & Hale too.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Spike

I ve used several different box calls over the years and I finally purchased a Primos Heart Breaker and I'm hooked. The call produces very sharp cuts and perfect yelps. I bought the call three seasons ago afer using several other box calls from other companies and I'm proud to say I will not use any other calls now than primos brand calls. The only down fall with this call is that it is pricy however it is a call that will last a lifetime and something you can hand down to your children and/or grandchildren. I highly recommend you taking a look into this call.

Hawkeye23
Old 02-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

As some others haveeluded toabove, you've GOT to step away from the mass produced, hollow sounding, pieces of junk that are mass marketed by the popular TV call companies! Take a serious look at the world of custom calls and I promise you.... you will NOT believe the difference in the exceptional tone quality, authentic sounding, REAL turkey calls.

I could go on and on about dozens of different incredible sounding boxes and potsthat I've heard over the years but, instead I'll simply suggest a couple of my favs and then let you research 'em.

For a quality sounding box call, you'd be hard pressed to find a superiorbox to "DADS",they look as awesome as they sound to. The best of the best in box calls. Each one is truly a work of art and man do they stack up the Toms. Check out his website for more views or you can also find them at Midwest Turkey Call Supply.

For a pot style call, I haven't found a more authentic and varible sounding call from the softest purrs to the loudest double note yelps than the legendary WoodHaven Cherry Classic Crystal. I'm also a huge fan of the WoodHaven Legend Slate when I need tone down just a bit or want a bit more rasp. You may also want to look at the DADS Acrylic pot.... I betit screams, but I personally don't have experience with the call. Gonna have to order one and seewhat all the talks about? It seems that the life rule "you get what you pay for" applys more to turkey calls than about anything else I've found. lol !

Good luck and good huntin'

Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vince, makes some great calls.......http://www.vectorcalls.com/index.htm
Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

David Halloran... Just found this guy on another forum... I checked him out and bought one of his calls... I'm happy