HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   How Do Turkeys Go To Roost In The Rain? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/284364-how-do-turkeys-go-roost-rain.html)

jrbsr 01-27-2009 07:06 AM

How Do Turkeys Go To Roost In The Rain?

How do turkeys go to roost when its raining?

Is it just like when its not raining?

Thank You

MOhunter46 01-27-2009 07:12 AM

RE: How Do Turkeys Go To Roost In The Rain?

Are you talking about location? If so i would think they would roost closer to a feild, so when they fly down they will be right in the feild so they can dry off like they like to do. But thats just a guess and maybe im not understanding your question.

jrbsr 01-27-2009 07:17 AM

I didn't think about location. ;)
I was wanting to know how they roost when its raining.

Thank You

vmartin 01-27-2009 07:18 AM

i know it takes a longer runway strip to get the bigger ones in the air. other than that, i haven't noticed ifthey get location specific when it rains. i honestly don't think they would pick other locations when it rains.

MOhunter46 01-27-2009 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

I didn't think about location. ;)
I was wanting to know how they roost when its raining.

Thank You
Oh, my bad.

JW 01-27-2009 07:54 AM

I have found they have set patterns feeding, loafing and then feeding again before flyup. Rain does not change that all that much whn it is raining. and of course hard rain drives them to open areas.It depends on where that turkey is at the time it becomes to fly-up. Now this was expereinced in both WI and MI where trees are abundant. My WI areas have wide open fields while MI does not.

For other wide open prairie areas this might change as trees (roost areas) are not as prevelant.

On high wind/rain or just wind I have seen turkeys use large White pines more so that leafless oaks/ash/maples. On high wind we find turkeys use lee side of ridges and cedar swamps.

Just my observations.

JW

Gamblinman 01-27-2009 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: vmartin

i know it takes a longer runway strip to get the bigger ones in the air. other than that, i haven't noticed ifthey get location specific when it rains. i honestly don't think they would pick other locations when it rains.
Although it's probaby easier with a runway, even the largest turkey can launch straight into the air, to either evade a predator, or fly to roost.

mohunter82 01-27-2009 04:57 PM

from my experience not alot changes for roosting in the rain. no on the ground in the rain is a whole different story.