HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Ok, so what Hevishot now? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/283841-ok-so-what-hevishot-now.html)

kdsberman 01-22-2009 08:38 PM

Ok, so what Hevishot now?

Ive read a few times that there is a certain shell/color that dont pattern real well. Ive heard people say to get "this color" shell or "that color" shell. I want to try Hevi Shot this year but want to make sure im buying the right "color" before i spend the money on them. Thanks guys

Adrian J Hare 01-23-2009 03:19 AM

RE: Ok, so what Hevishot now?

KD, This is what it all means,

Hevi 13 has taken over most of the heavy shot world. At the start for turkey shells they contracted their shot out to Remington. When the contract came due they started their own shells and some of the first where the (White) shells. These were some of the best patterning shells out there and the reason was the wads seem to be the ticket.

Over the years they change the wads and the pattern seem to change too.
The white shells are very hard to find as they are almost gone and if you find some they are a gold mine.

I have found the Bronze color that is out there now is close to the same pattern as the white shells, in my opinion. Over the years they changed their shell colors, I guess to keep track of how they made them, or themeasurementof the loads were different.

The 20 gauge was the same and a lot have found that the old shells seemed to be good, but I know the new loads are close because I have tested them all and still own them all.

Hope that helps

bhunter74 01-23-2009 08:03 AM

I used the brown/bronze one last year, seemed to work fine. Killed him at about 25 yds.

kdsberman 01-23-2009 08:46 AM

Awesome. So the bronze ones are good? And that is what the current color is then?

superstrutter 01-23-2009 10:25 AM

Definately go with the bronze before the green. Every green I have shot has had a terrible pattern.

kdsberman 01-23-2009 10:36 AM

How do you tell which are which? Have to open the box or can you tell?

Hurricanespg 01-23-2009 10:48 AM

The easiest way to tell which one you want is by size of shell, and ounces of shot in the shell.
Thebest loads for the 12ga are 3" 2oz, and 3.5" 2.25oz.

superstrutter 01-23-2009 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

How do you tell which are which? Have to open the box or can you tell?
Yes, open the box just to be sure.

TEmbry 01-24-2009 08:38 AM

I just picked up a box of 12 gauge 3" 1 5/8 oz #5s at Gander the other day. Will pattern them against my current loads to compare. I got the gold shells as well, heard they pattern better than Green. Gander had both, so just open the boxes to check.

I currently shoot Winchester Xtended Range 3.5" #5s, not sure on the ounces. I like these shells, have five left, which hopefully won't last me through turkey season.:D[8D]

I really want to get a Black Diamond Choke tube, but will likely just find the best load for the Carlsons tube I have. I am beginning to think with, no farther than I shoot em, that the whole Hi Density thing is over rated. I still buy them, but sheesh $20 for 5 shells? A ten box of lead is half that cost, lol.

kdsberman 01-24-2009 09:09 AM

Well right now I shoot Winchester Double-X Magnums (3.5" 2 1/4oz #5) through my Mossberg 835 (Primos Jellyehead), and those pattern really well. So I would IMAGINE the #6's would throw out one hell of a pattern. I got my new Mueller scope on my gun too, so i have to sight in/pattern again anyway so i might as well try another load. Thanks