Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Close encounters.....

Old 02-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Close encounters.....

Last year i was laying in a burned grass pasture with a ghillie suit i was about 2-3 feet from a fence. i was laying on the top of a small rise in the field and the turkeys had been crossing about 10 yards away in a small gap in the fence. so i was laying there not really paying attention because i had not even really heard any turkeys since fly down. all of a sudden i hear something right beside me so as slow as i could i turn my head and there was about 4 hens and a jake looking right at me. they turned around and took off, they came back about 5 minutes later but they were a little more apprehensive at crossing the fence. another time i buried my self in a group of cedar and elm trees and i shot a tom at about 3 yards.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Spike

Myself and a coulpe other gamewardens were working a baited farm. We had all split up and went to different baited spots. I got settled in laying beside a stump watching where the corn was spread out in some open hardwoods. As daybreak started i heard the woods come alive with turkeys. After listening to them in the trees for awhile i heard them start flying down. Some started coming into the bait from behind me and one walked across the back of my legs. It was the craziest feeling having a Wild Animal (turkey) that close and actually step on you and never know you were even in the world.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Baited farm???

You get those people????

JW
Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

I was in my treestand during bow season and it was starting to get around dusk. In MO you get two turkey tags with your two any deer tags for bow. I wasn't hunting turkeys but if the opportunity ever arises I would definitely take one. Anyway, I'm standing there and its peak deer movement time when all I hear is rustling of brush and leaves from behind me. I turn my head to see a big ol Tom coming right for my face. I duck and it lands on a hickory limb directly parallel to me and starts clucking away. He knows I'm here and doesn't like it. I tried to pull back on him but it was to no prevail...he took off before I could get a shot off.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baited farm!!![:@]

hope you nailed every one of them.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 AM

While calling turkeys i had a woodchuck climb up on my legs and stand up. Feeling the weight of him on me was the coolest part of it all.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Spike

Last season mytwo buddiesand I we re set up along a field edge behind his house where he'd been seeing several very nice toms. First light we had one gobble a couple hundred yards in front of us across the field. I'd already killed my two birds for the season so I was just tagging along to call for him. I'd made a few yelps followed by a couple sharp cuts to get him fired up. Right after that i heard somethign walking behind me and i very slowly turned my head to meet face to face with a hen standing no further than three feet behind me. The hensaw our decoy set up and proceeded to walk rightpast me and then right in between my teo buddies being nofurther than a couple yards from them. She went out to the decoys andputzed around there for a while until eventually shemoved off.Pretty neat experience.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive had many close encounters over the years..

2 of my favorites...

one year i had a longbeard strutting at 30-40yds..just enjoying the show before i gave him a dirt nap...out of nowhere i see a jake RUNNING behind him...runs through the woods to my right and circles around and ends up literally right on my lap. i was calling with a mouth call that morning and i swear he was looking directly at my mouth...he KNEW that hen sounds were coming from that tree and was starring straight through me...head bobbing walking all around the tree completely stumped...i couldnt even blink...my eyes teared up and after a while i HAD to blink...he busted me and the longbeard made it away...awesome hunt..

one morning dad and i were setup on our favorite point...the birds roost there then come back later in the morning so we usually run n gun after fly down and would head back to the point at 8 or 9am and setup and blind call and wait for the birds to return and fire back up...dad and i are both notorious for napping and that spot is over an hour from home so we hit the road at like 3am...dad drove coz i wasnt old enough...anyway, were setup like 50yds apart...we had a system dad would call then a couple minutes later id call...i was 14 or 15 and really didnt do much calling so that was how i learned and if something fired up, dad would take over...just how we did it...it was a nice warm spring morning and it was a while and dad didnt call at all...im 14 or 15 and bored outta my mind..havent heard a bird since flydown...dont wanna call because i dont know dads plans and dont wanna ruin the hunt or anything...no cell phone so i had nothing to do except enjoy the morning...out of nowhere i hear dad SCREAM like a girl...i look over and theres a longbeard standing at the end of his boots...bird runs...heard dads saftey click off and bird took flight...dad never fired...i still tease him about it to this day...funniest hunt ever i think...dad woke up and the bird poked its head around the tree dad was sitting at and had that big ole ugly head inches from his face...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Spike

Two years ago a buddy and I were on our way back home, (he was mad cause i missed!) we saw two big ole toms strutting in a bigg corn field by his house, we went on to his house and got his pretty boy and girl decoy and ran back through the woods up and over a hill so we could see the field and locate the birds again, once we had them located we eased down the ridge to the edge of a smaller corn field that we figured they would work around to...got pretty boy set up and we got set up two hours we sat there watching these toms come across the field to us... a hen lead two of the biggest toms i have ever seen from about 500 yards straight to pretty boy...i hammeredthe biggest of the twoat 17 yards...never had a turkey come in from that far to a decoy.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM

I had decided to take my brother Erick in law turkey hunting for the first time about 6 years ago. I was very carefull in describing how quiet and still he needed to be. So a bird gobbles on roost and at fly down he continued to gobble every once in a while. I could hear hens with him and had a feeling when he was done with his hens he would come looking for us, he had answered the few times I had called in the last hour. We sat there a total of two hours when I heardthe bird spit right behind us I smiled and started to let Erick know not to move or make a sound. Before I cold worn him He let out with a very loud "Big bird right behind us, big bird, big bird, big bird". The bird was out of there. As he walked up a hill behind us but out of shooting range I could see the biggest set of spurs I had yet to call in silloueted against the sky.5 minutes later when I had gathered myself enough to talk without creating family problems I asked him why he had talked. His answere was "It scared me" I have yet to take him turkey hunting again maybe someday I will. I can handle somebody missing, or moving at the wrong time on a silent bird, or shooting the wrong bird, but talking with a bird at 7 yards is hard to forgive. I am working on it maybe another six years might do it.

Quick Reply: Close encounters.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.