HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Too tite? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/283554-too-tite.html)

dogknott 01-20-2009 06:17 PM

Too tite?

I'm getten back into turkey hunting and see that there is a pile of aftermarket tubes. Got to thinken, how tite is too tite on constriction, I shoot 3 1/2 12 gauge lead, no hevi-shot yet.
Will .655 be too tite and tend to distort the pattern?
Will a 665 still give a good pattern out to 50 yards?
I plan on patterning several differnt loads, just dont want to end up with something too tite. If it matters, i will probly be shooting a Remington and 5 or 6 shot.

Crow31 01-20-2009 08:12 PM

RE: Too tite?

I don't know about distorting the pattern. You may have to shoot several loads to find one that patterns good out to 50yrds. But you need good sights. If that turkey comes in close you need pinpoint accuracy because your pattern is smaller than the size of a quarter. I see a lot more guys these days missing birds in close because their gun patterns so tight

jrbsr 01-21-2009 03:14 AM

ORIGINAL: dogknott

I'm getten back into turkey hunting and see that there is a pile of aftermarket tubes. Got to thinken, how tite is too tite on constriction, I shoot 3 1/2 12 gauge lead, no hevi-shot yet.
Will .655 be too tite and tend to distort the pattern?
Will a 665 still give a good pattern out to 50 yards?
I plan on patterning several differnt loads, just dont want to end up with something too tite. If it matters, i will probly be shooting a Remington and 5 or 6 shot.
Try 3 inch shell, some times a shorter shell will shoot better.
The Old Timers used 2 inch Black Powder shells.
They killed turkeys just fine.

Adrian J Hare 01-21-2009 03:44 AM

What I have found is that .660 shoots a good Lead/Copper load. The thing is that .660 and .665 are not all that much different. Its a very small change and from what I seen they are very close. If your ever planning on shooting heavy shot make sure the choke you decide on is Heavy shot compatable. You can still shoot lead out of thst choke, its not the sizing difference but rather the quality of metal in the choke that changes.

As far as a distorted pattern that has more to do with the forcing cone in the gun you'll be using. The new turkey guns tend to have a longer forcing cone allowing for a more even look to the pattern.

I have seen 3 inch shells time and time again shoot tighter then 3.5 shells, so don't be scared to try out 3inch...

Hurricanespg 01-21-2009 06:33 AM

I have not tested too many 3.5" lead loads, but I can tell you that I have gotten pretty good patterns with several 3" lead loads with choke sizes ranging from .643-.660.