Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys and Dinosaurs?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:56 AM

Default RE: Turkeys and Dinosaurs?

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

If evolution were in fact true why have we never seen or had documented proof of a species in mid transormation?
We have. Link.

Read. Learn.

For example. We have documented evidence of evolution within out lifetimes from studies of Galapagos finches.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

the other thing you have to remember is that this transformation isn'ta "snap" overnight thing.
I understaand some people dont believe in evolution. if they dont thats their perogitive.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

poorcollegekid; I am afraid that link does not prove anything regarding evolution, it even states it does not. The closest it comes to proving anything is when it states that "The fossil record could show a chronological progression in which bird wings are gradually transformed into reptilian arms;"
I would like to apply emphasis on the word "could". The word "could" in that sentence provides a clear line of theory and conjecture, it does not provide proof.
Under the transitions from reptiles to mammals section of the article it even states "So far this series is known only as a series of genera or families; the transitions from species to species are not known."
Under the transitions from reptiles to birds it states "On the whole, though, this is still a gappy transition, consisting of a very large-scale series of "cousin" fossils."
I could go on, but I am sure you have read the article and can point on the many inconsistincies as well as I.

Second, we should not confuse adaptation with evolution, nor should we consider variation within a species evolution. For instance, there are hundreds of different types/breeds of dogs, but they are all dogs. We can cross breed to produce different traits within these dogs, but they are still dogs. The same can be done with all kinds of birds, fish, etc., but they all remain birds, fish, etc.

Third, there has not been one documented proof of a species in mid transformation, or of a species that has actually evolved ie. a bird became a reptile, a moth became a bird, a fish became a turtle, etc.

Fourth, in response to your mention of Galapagos finches. There are more color variations among pigeons than among any other animal or bird in the world. That is the result of only a couple centuries of intensive breeding by fanciers in Europe and America. In spite of the variations, they can all interbreed and are just pigeons.
The same can be said of the finches. There are currently 13 accepted species of Galapagos finches. A couple of centuries of breeding amongst themselves is the only thing that brought about these "changes". They are still all Galapagos finches. None of them have ever changed into pigeons, or anything else for that matter.

Lastly this from Darwin; "In fact the belief in Natural Selection must at present be grounded entirely on general considerations [faith and theorizing] . . When we descend to details, we can prove that no one species has changed . . nor can we prove that the supposed changes are beneficial, which is the groundwork for the theory. Nor can we explain why some species have changed and others have not."—*Charles Darwin, letter to Jeremy Bentham, in Francis Darwin (ed.), Charles Darwin, Life & Letters, Vol. 3, p. 25.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

mohunter; Sorry I did not see your post, but your comment about it not being a snap overnight thing should lend credence to the anti evolution view.
Since evolution is supposed to be a gradual change we should see some form of it in our everyday lives. For example (a wild one I know) in a reptile evolving into a mammal we should see...say an alligator with a hand or something of that nature as it slowly evolves into what it is supposed to become.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:46 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I'evolved' into a better turkey hunter - Least in my own mind I think so - does that count? By hunting this bird I 'created' an incurrable disease and the only medication is to hunt more!

And at night my wife won't join me on the roost! This is not a bad thing at all - I sleep better!

and bet on it - I will be watching this Geo special Feb 8th.

JW
Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

I definitely agree Hurricane... There has never been a transitional form found, and going by fact, and all the fossils thathave been found; there should be hundreds, or even thousands found. And there have been many supposed forms, but they have all been proven wrong... This in itself is outstanding "evidence" in a sense.
Gerard
Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Good post hurricane. Personally I have never held any belief in evolution. Adaptation? Yes. Evolution? No.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

my great-great uncle was slime. that's a fact.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Banned

An evolution debate in the turkey forum. Awesome.

I usually get threatened to be banned every time one of these come up in the Religion forum.

FWIW, 99% of the people who think they understand evolution, have no idea what they are talking about.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Heres a picture I found of one.
It looks like it wasn't a reptile, since it has feathers.
So it is possible, that it progressed to todays turkey.
Just a Theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.