HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   need advice new turkey hunter (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/282323-need-advice-new-turkey-hunter.html)

matt s 01-11-2009 07:35 PM

need advice new turkey hunter

Hey guys just joined the forum, Im 15 years old and starting to do alot of hunting with my uncle. with gobbler season coming in march I need a good shotgun. looking in the 2-300 dollar range if I can get anything decent. If not, need to work some more. Let me know guys, Thanks.

gmil6184 01-11-2009 08:17 PM

RE: need advice new turkey hunter

You should be able to get a new Remington 870 for between $250-300. I'm sure there are other inexpensive options out there but I am a Remington guy and the 870 is their signature shotgun. You might be able to find something a little cheaper if you shop around your local gun shops and find something used. Have you decided what bore you want? 12 gauge is probably the most popular but you can do quite well with a 20 gauge too, especially with some of the newer turkey loads.

Hurricanespg 01-11-2009 09:40 PM

For pumps a Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, H&R Pardner Pump, Stoeger P350, Winchester Speedpump, or a Remington 870 should all do just fine and be in your price range. I would try to get ahold of as many of those as you can and see which one feels best to you.
Once you decide what to get let us know and I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who can help with a choke/load combo.

matt s 01-12-2009 04:38 AM

ya I was skeet shooting at the hunting lease yesterday with a 16 gauge and it felt nice but most likely ill probably get a 20.

mohunter82 01-12-2009 03:40 PM

for that price range i'm gonna have to agree that the 870 or the mossberg 500 would be my choices.

corndog09 01-12-2009 05:51 PM

try a remington 870 express or a mossberg 500, both are really great guns

gmil6184 01-12-2009 06:05 PM

20 gauge will do you just fine, in fact I'm not sure that i've ever seen a turkey load in 16 gauge. The first handful of birds I shot were with a Remington 870 Youth 20 gauge.

Ihuntandfish 01-16-2009 07:30 AM

Like everyone else has said, if you want a cheaper gun, a mossberg would be a good choice. Remington 870's are supposed to be really goodalso. the only problem I had with them is that the stock was too high, and I couldn't get my head down low enough to look flat down the barrel. I got a Benelli Nova 12 gauge on sale for around 350, and I think it is a great gun. If you can handle a 12 gauge, I would definately get one. You can take down turkeys with a 20 gauge, but the extra bb's in a 12 make a big difference. Make sure you look at a couple different guns to compare them. Don't just grab any old gun.

Hawkeye23 02-11-2009 09:08 AM

I have a mossberg 835 thumbhole toped off with a scope that is lethal. Remington makes good guns but if you wanna go a little cheaper i recommend going with a mossberg. I'm four for four in two years with everything factory. The factory choke is fabulous.

kdsberman 02-11-2009 10:04 AM

Cant go wrong with Mossberg. If you REALLY want to save some money, i used to usea New England single shot 12ga w/modified choke. Never missed a turkey with it. About an $80 gun that did the job. But like I said, you cant go wrong with a Mossberg.