Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rifle turkey?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rifle turkey?

Anyone have any experience harvesting a turkey with a rifle?

I assume most use a .223 caliber or smaller, what sort of damage does that do on your bird?

Is a .243 too big?

Tell me your experience, and what cartridge you used, maybe the distance of the bird, and bullet grs used.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle turkey?

Thanks salukipv1, your turn to get chastised by the group, maybe it'll take some of the pressure off of me for asking about my .17 HMR.These guys are brutal if you use anything other than a shotgunor a bow, they're worse thanfly fisherman snubbingthere noses at worm fisherman.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

When Iwas stationedin South Dakota I harvested a turkey with a 30-06. I had two friends with me, one using a 50 caliber muzzleloader and the other used a .223. The friend with a .223 got one the same morning I did.

Normally, I wouldn't use a 30-06 on a turkey, but I had just got the gun so I wanted to take it out. I was using Federal 150 grain soft point ammo. There was actually very little meat damage, I hit it broadside at about 45 yards right around the wing bone (there went my wingbone turkey call I was going to make ). My buddy with the .223 had a more direct "breast" hit and caused slightly more meat loss than what I had. There was very little bullet expansion on both our birds.

I'm originally from Georgia, so I was excited to get a chance to try something new as hunting turkey with a rifle is illegal there. Hunting public land merriams with a rifle isn't as easy as it sounds, and took us nearly the whole season before we got a good opportunity. It was my friend's first turkey ever, my first with a rifle, and the last hunting opportunity we had before we deployed to Iraq.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 AM

Awe Common Saluk! Too easy![8D] Take your Bow man! LOL (all in jest)

If its legal, go for it if thats what you want to do. I know around here it would take all of 20 minutes to have a bird down though.

I would assume any gun would work, but a .17-.22ish caliber would work best. Breast shot would demolish one. Id use a .22 mag or similar, get within 100 yards or so and try for a head/neck shot.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 AM

Well, I am a died in the wool turkey hunter that starts roosting on the bedpost about mid March. I have taken tons of longbeards and have guided a few of the shows you have seen on the outdoor channel and an HS Strut video and Realtree video as well.

That said, let me now say that in 2005 I was in a terrible car crash that destroyed my shoulder. I had to give up bowhunting forever and couldn't shoot a kicking gun for some time. I was so depressed I seriously contemplated the big step. But at the urging of friends Igrabbed my seat and vest and went to the woods andI called in a couple bird. Then, I suddenly got the itch to kill one so I picked up a .Ruger 77/22 hornet. Now other than one handgun killand a few small cal. ML kills I have always used a shotgun orarchery equip. so this was like dating my cousin. Well, my cousin turned into the best date I ever had. That little thing does a number on a longbeard let me tell ya. I am also getting up in years and have other, even more severe health issues and it is nice notto have to see if that's bloodor your gun just knocked the "snot" out of ya again!!!

I call them in close....real close and shoot 'em in the base of the neck. No meat damage, no kick, nothing bad about it.

I will admit to having campaigned against rifles in spring season for safety sake.Also as much as I hate now to give up any ofour hunting rights,should they be outlawed that is one thing I won't fight much. But, in the meantime, I still carry my Encore w/12ga bbl or my 935 or my 835 or my 870 once in a while, but I haven't pulled the trigger since I got the hornet..... That little gun is just a dream to carry and shoot. The scope helps me see and size them up on the way in w/little movement and I always know my backdrop. Here in the hills of WV that is pretty safe in most places.

This year, it is crossbow time. Who knows, maybe I'll like that even better.

One last thing about the Hornet. I do find as I get older, I hate those birds more than I once did, and I am not near as mad at the deer. I can let a deer walk off without so much as a second thought, but with that Hornet,I have to say it gets a little tempting to let one of those old longbeards that hangs up out there at 75yds know that I can ruin his day. I long ago adopted a 25yd shot policy and haven't broken it yet. But mark my word....I will, just to be onerey. (as you can see this little gun has brought me out of my depression and back amongst the happy hunters)

ADVICE: I would NOT use a 17HMR on a gobbler. Fall hen, yes, spring strutter NO! And if you must make it full strut head shots only. That way it's a kill or miss. I have heard of more getting away than falling to the pot w/body shots.I have also seen 22mags fail in this dept. My FIL has used both of these....He now has a .223 which I consider overkill. From now on this 82yr old will be using my Hornet or Nothing! I think after shooting it, he won't be disappointed at all.

There you have it. Slam away, but I found a new love and it literally saved my life.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Dryridge, 82 and still able to get out there and hunt ?God bless you I can only hope to be in that kind of shape in 40 more years
Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 AM

JOHNL.....I WANT TO CLARIFY...My Father in Law is the 82yr old. Not me!!! This is the only hunting he does any longer but he still loves his spring gobbler hunting
Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

I have no experience rifle hunting turkeys as it is illegal here in GA. I imagine it would be interesting, but calling em in close and giving them a faceful of lead is what got me hooked, and thats what I'll always love about it.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not going to chastize anyone for using a rifle. I wouldn't do it evenif it were legal, but that doesn't make it morally wrong. If that's your cup of tea, then go for it. Just be careful.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

my buddy lives and hunts turkeys in wyoming and he uses a 22-250 and he loves using it. it does a pretty good job

Quick Reply: Rifle turkey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.