HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   For those of who use a Ghillie suit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/280841-those-who-use-ghillie-suit.html)

JW 01-01-2009 09:52 AM

For those of who use a Ghillie suit

How has it held up?

Do those loose flaps of material get hung up om anything?

Please help us with your Pros and Cons versus General Camo clothing.

JW

Hurricanespg 01-01-2009 01:33 PM

RE: For those of who use a Ghillie suit

Pros
[ul][*]Better concealment[*]More realistic/natural concealment[*]Able to get away with slight movements[*]Destroys human outline if used properly[/ul]
Cons
[ul][*]Does snag the wayward brush every now and then[*]Some are heavy[*]Easy to not use properly which makes you more visible[*]Does require periodic maintenance[/ul]

That is about all I can think of right now. Personally, I have pretty much done away withmy ghillie suit, and went with the 3D leafy suits. For me it seems to be the best of both worlds. I can get them in pretty much whatever camo pattern I want, gives your clothes naturalmovement, better concealment than regular camo, and lightweight.
Hope that helps.

Adrian J Hare 01-01-2009 07:47 PM

I can't wait to see these guys ware this suit in Stores like Walmart. Your in Jail Bud :D

I have yet to have a problem killing turkeys with a 3D pattern ;)...

JW 01-01-2009 09:16 PM

I was just curious. I use the Mossy Oak New Break-up.

I went and bought several brand camouflaged hats as one can always wear the hat. I then took each hat side by side and laid them in the type of cover I hunt. I palced them both in a sunny setting and a shaded setting and ended up with the above.

Camo helps blend you in as long as you use existing cover, trees, dead falls, hill sides - all to hide your silloette and then staying absolutley still makes you invisible. Add the above that are in the shade or shadowsand you blend in even better.

Again movement at the wrong time is a key issue!

JW

ksfowler 01-02-2009 06:54 AM

I have a ghillie suit that i made last winter. i used it last spring in a pasture that had burned a few weeks before season opened and the grass was about 3 inches tall and impossible to hide in with out a ghillie suit. one morning i had a large group of hens and jakes at 3-5 feet from me. one the bad side the hat that i have ghillied up can be a pain when the wind is blowing because it blows the stuff in your eyes. and you have to avoid water as much as possible that thing gets heavy when wet.[:@] but the pros far out wiegh the cons in my opinion. i am going to make one that is green so i can blend in with cedar trees.

tky1187 01-04-2009 05:43 PM

I use a guille/leafey suit from realtree. I decided to buy one after hunting with a buddy the previous spring who cut strips of camo burlap and sewed them on a old camo outfit. I couldn't beleive how he blended in when setting against anything anywhere outside. Since I've bought mine I've had quite a few veteran turkey hunters laugh but end up going out and buying the same suit. One last thing, I hunt some very brushy areas and walk through some nasty briars and the suit has held up much better than I could imagine. After using mine hard for 3 seasons I have no more than a few frayed leaves on mine but none actually ever ripped off.