Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shell Selection

Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Shell Selection

I shoot the winchester xtended range hi density shells, and they pattern well with my carlsons ported turkey tube. 3.5" #5s. That said, this year I am going to pick up a box of the Hevi 13 #6s and see how they do. I really want an Indian Creek tube, but not sure if I want to drop the dough when I already have a good combo.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot to add that I fooled around a little with the Federal Flight Control shells last year. I shot 3 or 4 rounds at 20 yards and had the wad go through the target! I plan on patterning my gun with those this spring to see what I can get out of them. I also have a box of their hevi-shot that was sent to me free from the company. I can't shoot them out of my gun with my current choke tube, but I'm sure some of you guys can. Hint, hint!
Old 12-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

I use 2 3/4 " # 6 in 12 guage.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 12-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Spike

Hevi Shot patterns very well with my 870, so I stick with that. I've dropped birds out to 45 yards without a problem. You gotta try out a few different loads to see what works bestwith your weapon and choke...I'll admit it isn't the cheapest way to come to a desired conclusion, but once you find one that you like, you can stick with it for years (assuming your gun and choke remain the same).
Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Last year I used Federal Flite Control 3" #5s through a Primos Jellyhead choke, but this year I'm using Hevi-13 3" #6s through an Indian Creek choke tube. Can't wait to pattern that combo!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

You can't just say Hevi-shot. There is different shells and loads with this brand name. I shoot a winchester 1300 and if I shoot the 1 5/8 oz load in #6 I get crap compared to the 1 3/4 oz load. The 2 oz load is not too bad but still not as good as the 1 3/4oz.

Moral of the story is focus more on your second question. How to pattern. The rules of thumb I follow:

-You should pattern your gun out to 40 to know how it patterns out there. Even if you believ in getting them close. Know YOUR gun.
-You should be blasting a hole at 20 yds with todays chokes and loads
-You should worry about an even and consitent pattern across 10 inches and not focus on a picture of a turkey and the number of pellets in the head neck. A consistent pattern across 10 inches will a turkey. His head moves, your pretty target picture doesn't.
-You should polish your barrel and keep it clean when patterning.
-You should use a proper rest or set up. Your own mistakes should not lead you to believ your gun is off when patterning.
-you should NOT worry about what other guys shoot since every gun/choke/load combo can vary.

I also think since you're not target shooting or duck hunting spending a little extra $$ on a premium turkey load is no big deal. You might get 1 shot all season. Who cares if they are $2 a shell. It'd be different if you were shooting 20 shells a hunt.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used the Flite Control shells from Federal as well and when i was shooting them the wad ended up behind the target at 20 yards. I dont think it matters what you use as long as they are close. i see no need to shoot one past 35 yards.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

and i bet you never shoot a deer past 20 yds either----even though your effective rifle range is 400............
Old 12-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Until somebody shows me some concrete evidence that the hevi 13 shot will penatrate better at 40-45 yards than Win HV #5's... I've got a hard time buying the 60 yard kills... That stuff only going around 1090fps...

I have patterned it with the Primos jelly head choke and it definetly patterned better!!! But I missed a gobbler last spring at 50 paces with it... I definetly hit the bird but he flew offI looked for about 1/2 hour just in case he flew off and died... Nothing...

I will be doing some penatration test with the Hevi 13 and the Win HV #5's in the next month or so... I will be shooting them both at a phone book at 45 yards and counting the amount of pages that they pass threw... ThenI'll shoot them both at a peice thin sheet metal(1/32") and compare the dents... After I do this test then I'll know what the real deal is!!! I will post my test results...
Old 12-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

and i bet you never shoot a deer past 20 yds either----even though your effective rifle range is 400............
Nope, i shoot a bow.

Quick Reply: Shell Selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.