Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Strange bird

Old 04-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Spike

Default Strange bird

This morning leaving my house I passed a field with a pair of hens. One of the birds was the normal black with bronze accents. The second bird was the equivelent of a pie-bald deer. It seemed to have white tips on each of its feathers, giving it a salt and pepper look. It was really cool looking. Although I have never seen anything quite like it, I have seen somewhat similar domestic birds. Have any of you ever seen this in the wild before? Is it a normally occuring colloration or do you think there was some breeding with a domestic bird somewhere along the way?
Old 04-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Strange bird

It is an uncommon but normal color phase for wild turkeys.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that I could be from breeding with a domestic turkey. I do not know how this could be true in my area because to my knowledge their is not any domestic turkeys.B
Old 04-07-2003, 07:57 PM

I once came face to face with a mostly white gobbler who snuck up on me while I was doing some cut n running. Never got a shot off though. He had the usual black striping on his wing feathers and black on his tail. I later asked the game warden about it and he said he wished he could " Get rid of all the damn things" . LOL. But he said the biologist told him it was in the genes and you could never get rid of them. Kinda like breeding black labs....every now and then you get a blond one.