Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scope for Shotgun

Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scope for Shotgun

I am looking for advice on a good scope for turkey hunting. It will go on my 12 gauge. I don'treally need anything that magnifies, so a red dot would probably be fine. I would like to spend less than $100. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM

Default RE: Scope for Shotgun

Hello
i put a Standard 3x9 on mine and love it ,,great to zoom in to look at far away birds ,but you still have 3 power for the close up work ,can get one for less then 100 easy ,
Old 12-12-2008, 05:48 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Iknow you said a 100 bucks or less

But I recomend you look at a Monarch Nikon Turkey Pro. I have beat the bejeebies out of this scope - and have not re-dialed it in in over 5 yrs. I know it is spot on!
Has cross hairs with a diamond center reticle that at high power the head of the turkey will fill the diamond at 40 yards.

JW
Old 12-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put a Traditions 4x32 on a 12gaIthaca 37 Turkeyslayer. It has held up quite well over the years, and clarity is just fine.
Here is what it looks like

Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 PM

i don't know about it's uses as a turkey scope, but Redhead makes an excellent scope, especially for the price.

I bought the shot 1.5-4.5x32, and I absolutely love it.

plus, has a circle around the reticle, would be nice to put the cross hairs on the head of hte turkey, and the circle around it.

you might want to look into it

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ems#itemDetail
Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 PM

Im going the red dot scope route if I get one.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

for turkey? there's no need for one....

maybe someone can explain a good reason to have a scope on a shotgun for turkey?

do they have 75yd loads for turkeys now or something?

30/40yds has always been my max.....im still using my old shells though, once i burn through those ill look to something newer....but i mean has something happened to turkey hunting? are 50yd shots the norm? 60yds?

if its 30-40yds, i know where the shot is going....

Old 12-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me a scope is a personal preference, but yesI canshoot 60 yards.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

My reason for a scope is that I am a terrible shot with open sights. I always have been. I don't know why, but I am. In my experience one of the most important things to have when shooting is confidence. With open sights I don't have it, with a scope I do.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:37 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Why I went to a scope!

Am old and eye-sight got so bad for close up seeing I could not see back ramp of open sight in conjuctionwith the front sight. The sights where Tru-Glo.

No I don't take 75 yard shots - never have, never will, not even over 50 - to me that is not what this sport is aboutand am proud to say my average distance for all birds taken is still 21 steps from where I sat! Some a bit farther some a bit closer and closer is always better. Closer is the challenge I insist on for myself. The closer the better.

Second - at close range (less than 20 yards)with today's tight chokes you are shooting nothing more than a slug of shot. Go to a patterning board and try at 5, 10, and 15 yards. See for yourself how tiny that shot pattern is at those ranges. So being dead on is critical to a clean kill when callin' that big Ole tom close-up!

dtk913 - You are spot on - confidence on how you approach shooting will always help make a clean ethical shot.

Now I ask all you sceptics - Is it better I go out there blind and possibly wound a bird?

JW

Here is my gun set-up That I took the vent rib barrel off and added the following.
Remington 12 Ga. 11-87 SP - 3 inch #4 winchester Supreme shells - 21 inch cantelever barrel and Nikon Monarch Turkey scope - Butt stock has BuckCreek Neoprene Monte Carlo add on pad to bring my eye up and in line with scope. (rather than change the stock)
Gun is Matte finish and I never Camo it. It has taken many birds.
These two Rios - one shot at 11 yards the other shot on a dead run at 18 yards. Both one shot kills.

Quick Reply: Scope for Shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.