Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Looking for a good Diaphragm call >

Looking for a good Diaphragm call

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Looking for a good Diaphragm call

Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a good Diaphragm call

I think your going to find that everybody sounds a little different with mouth calls... I Would suggest trying a veriety of different mouth calls... I use to like HS Strutt when I first starting learning then Itryed quakerboy. Then I switchedto MAD calls... Now I use Knight & Hale...
Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

I've bought and tried several, but my two all time favorite diaphragms are the knight and hale line and the preston pittman line, in particular the preston pittman Xciter. thats my go to call. Give em a try.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Spike

I prefer Quaker Boy "Old Boss Hen" and "Pro Triple". For someone just starting out Quaker Boy makes excellent push button calls.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pnut

Looks like several of you guys like the Quaker Boys calls. I found the Quaker Boy Gobblin' Fever 4-Pack Turkey Game Calls at Cabelas for only $16. I'm going to Cabelas on Saturday and thinking about picking this 4 pack up. It includes the Screamin' Green World Champ, Pro Triple, Old Boss Hen and Jagged Edge calls.
According to the feedback they are good for beginners.
http://tinyurl.com/5tmxwn

What you guys think about this set?

Thanks so much for all your helpful advice on this.
I love these forums.
I buy this 4-pack every year just for the Jagged Edge! They don't sell this call as a single so I have to buy the 4-pack. The pro-triple sounds good as well. When you get more call savy the World Champ is a great call as well, but it is a little harder to run. You will not be let down by that Jagged Edge.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer H.S. Strut calls then Mad calls I have had a lot of luck with theH.S. youth DD calling birds in.

I think you can call birds in with any call if you can make yelps and Clucks and cutting works well if they are loosing interest.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

A buddy of mine gave me a Legacy mouth call to try a few years back. These calls are made in SC and I mean to tell yea sound better than excellent. I am usinga Legacy Hacksaw mouth call and love the sounds I can get out of it. Works high and low with ease. Check out Legacy for yourself. Very well made too I might add.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

That raspy hen in that pack is one of my favs. of course i'm partial to a raspy hen made by anybody.
What part of missouri ya form.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

That raspy hen in that pack is one of my favs. of course i'm partial to a raspy hen made by anybody.
What part of missouri ya form.
Central - I hunt in Osage County
Old 12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Perfection turkey calls. Check out their website perfectionturkeycalls.com. They make custom handmade calls that IMO are of much better quality than any of the mass produced calls. I have tried Primos, Knight & Hale and a few other popular manufactuers and have found these call are by far much easier for me to produce great sounding tukery calls and are much easier to use. I have yet to try anything other than the handmadediaphram calls (I haveall primos friction calls, and locater calls),but I can say the handmade diaphramshave made a HUGE difference in my ability and confidence with mouth calls!!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

When it comes to mouth calls most companies use the same products from the same suppliers and are all very close. The difference in some of them is the frame size and laytex thickness. If your starting out (beginner) on the mouth call you will be better to start with a double reed call. These calls are easyier to get sound from and can get you going a little quicker then some of the raspy calls that have thicker and multiple reeds that will make you over work a call to get noise.

You will rune a raspy call trying to over blow it and would be better to save it untill your under way using the mouth call.

QuakerBoy makes theirown frames and this makes this call good for some users and not for others. Fitting the pallet is important to start. The Quakerboy - Beginners Double is a good starter call.

Make sure you rinse off your calls after your done, then dry them and store them in a fridge to keep bacteria from forming and causing sore throats...

Quick Reply: Looking for a good Diaphragm call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.