Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions. >

I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Spike

Default RE: I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions.

Glad to see I'm not the only one getting into turkey hunting for the very first time this spring!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the sport. These birds will make you think that you are absolutely the dumbest hunter out there so be forewarned (if they dont then you have stupid turkeys[8D]).
As far as Im concerned the brand doesnt make a whole lot of difference(not looking for an argument) what it comes down to is knowing how to produce the right sounds, so pick up a call and start practicing. As far as decoys go, I would start off with a single hen and go from there. I would also try to get a decoy that is made of a harder material then the foam decoys as they tend to hold their shape. Also try to find a decoy that has a stake that locks on to the decoy so it doesnt blow over. Stay away from inflatable decoys because turkeys have sharp claws.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Spike

Quaker boy makes a good push button box call for a beginner. As far as turkey decoys go I have always been partial to Feather Flex.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I picked up an HS Lil Deuce 2 friction call. I also ordered a Jake decoy and a mouth call. I know the mouth calls are on a learning curve, but I figure I might as well start practicing now. Hopefully I can get on some birds in spring.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

that little duece should work pretty good for ya. do you have a hen deke already. i'd watch using just a jake. a subordinate tom will usually not come to a jake.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I used to have a lil deuce and I really liked it, but i think i loaned it to someone or lost it because i have no idea where it is, haha. Its a sweet little call though, did you get the glass or slate one? I think the mouth call is a great idea, i have one in my mouth as soon as i get to the woods, never know when you will get surprised by a bird, you might not have time to set up and get out other calls. They are tough to get good with and to be honest with you i'm still not very good. most of the time I just use it when the bird is coming in and i need both hands on the gun. I'll give him a couple of soft clucks just to keep him coming, or a real sharp loud cluck to try to get him to stick his head up. Anyways, good luck and feel free to fire away with questions.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is one of my tips (quirks). you can practice with your mouth call anywhere. i even keep one in my car so i can practice on the drive to work and home.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

I used to have a lil deuce and I really liked it, but i think i loaned it to someone or lost it because i have no idea where it is, haha. Its a sweet little call though, did you get the glass or slate one? I think the mouth call is a great idea, i have one in my mouth as soon as i get to the woods, never know when you will get surprised by a bird, you might not have time to set up and get out other calls. They are tough to get good with and to be honest with you i'm still not very good. most of the time I just use it when the bird is coming in and i need both hands on the gun. I'll give him a couple of soft clucks just to keep him coming, or a real sharp loud cluck to try to get him to stick his head up. Anyways, good luck and feel free to fire away with questions.
Yeah, I got the double slate over glass.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

that little duece should work pretty good for ya. do you have a hen deke already. i'd watch using just a jake. a subordinate tom will usually not come to a jake.
So is the Jake completely useless? Should I return it and get a hen?

Quick Reply: I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.