Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Choke question updated with pics >

Choke question updated with pics

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke question updated with pics

Old 11-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Choke question updated with pics

I have an old 3 1/2" Remington Express Super mag.

I don't hunt turkey enough to justify a new more expensive gun but would like to get the most out of it.The thing kicks like a mule and I was wanting a ported tube that will help with recoil and give me the absolute best pattern I can get.

I will be putting a sims pad and will be mounting a red dot (allready have) to it.

What would be the best choke tube to look at for this gun.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choke question

Primos Jellyhead. Trust me. I was told to get that choke after my Mossberg was getting below average patterns and it made a night and day difference. The Jellyhead is a very good choke, give it a try and wont be disappointed.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Hard to say on the choke question. You can try 2 exact guns with the exact shell and the exact choke and one will work well and the other might not, go figure. The only tried and true method (which can get expensive I know) is to try a couple of different choke / shell patterns. I've worked up a 1/2 dozen guns of all different kinds and you would be amazed (in some instances, not all) how one gun/choke/shell combination will work gangbusters and if you simply switch pellet size (changing nothing else) you won't be able to get a pellet on the paper.

Bottom line, get a choke or two (might buy them used or borrow someone elses from thier gun if it will fit yours) buy a box or two of different shells and go to the pattern board.

Its fun work and you WILL NOT be dissappointed when you get finished.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:30 PM

Alot of chokes will work just fine. I use a ported Carlsons with excellent results, but I a, going to try an Indian Creek choke in the future, maybe.I want a red dot scope too though.

Good call on the scope, I want one bad.

I would instead buy one good choke and then leave the experimenting to the shells. Cheaper way to find a good combo.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have a primos jellyhead in my benelli right now, and it works pretty good. just ordered an indian creek a couple days ago looking forward to seeing what it can do
Old 12-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the replies,not sure which way to go.I Have a cheaper turkey choke in it now,not sure what brand or ID but I really would like some recoil reduction with a ported one.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

you said its a 3 1/2 inch magnum, are you shooting 3 1/2 magnum shells out of it? The easier fix might be just to go to a 2 3/4 inch turkey load. you will lose a few pellets but not enough to make a difference. Just a thought.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I actually was getting the best pattern with 3" shells so that was the majority of what I shot.

I would like to get the full benefit of 3 1/2's and feel I need a new choke.If I am going to shoot them,ported will be a must.I have access to a caldwell lead sled so patterning the gun won't hurt,just don't want to break my shoulder when I shoot a turkey.

The cost of a new choke really isn't that big of a deal,just not willing to spend several hundred for a new gun.Especially since I have a new bow on order.Turkey hunting with a shotgun isn't my passion but I enjoy it from time to time.

I let a friend borrow this gun and the 3 1/2"s I had.He shot the gun from a kneeling position and ended up on his back side.He then returned the gun and bought a Benelli.[]
Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

I'd suggest trying some chokes against each other.

Here is a link on how to do just that...

http://www.outdoorfreaks.net/joomla/...tml&Itemid=165
Old 12-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer Indian Creek choke tubes as they have preformed well in several of my shotguns, but I honestly do not think that the ported model of any choke tube is going to give you a noticeable difference in recoil. As suggested above you might try using a lighter load, that and the sims pad will make quite a bit of difference.

Quick Reply: Choke question updated with pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.