HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Mouth Calling (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/275858-mouth-calling.html)

tennhunter 11-28-2008 05:29 PM

Mouth Calling

Just wondering, how many of you have success calling by mouth (without the aid of a diaphram call)?

JW 11-28-2008 09:12 PM

RE: Mouth Calling

I use them all the time and is part of a routine I use. I never leave home without at least one or two in my mouth.

JW

vmartin 12-03-2008 10:29 AM

i have had a lot of success this way. i have learned to do clucks and purrs when i don't have a mouth call in. sometimes it is out of nicessity, i spook them and i imediately alarm with them and they usually calm down and some times come over. there have been other times that i had my confidence up enough that i just left the calls at the truck and used my mouth to get a strutter into range. unpressured turkeys are easily fooled.

tennhunter 12-03-2008 10:39 AM

vmartin,

From your post, it appears that you do this for both falland spring hunting. I amgetting fairlyproficientwith my clucks and purrs, but am a little hesitant about trying it on a big spring gobbler. Those things are hard to get close to and I would hate to scare one off if I had him within 75 yds.

Anything else that you can add about your technique, I would be very interested in.

vmartin 12-03-2008 11:53 AM

one thing that could help is what time of the spring season you are hunting. toms are more easily called in later in the season, mid may things start to really get heated up, this depends heavily on how pressured the turkeys are. also the time of day helps, as the day wears on more hens will get bread and go sit on eggs leaving the toms out trolling for new hens.

using your mouth only cannot give you the long range calling that most calls provide you with. but for most circumstances when i have a tom already coming in ona string and i want him to put ona show at my feet, i stop using my long range calls and i start purring and clucking with my mouth to him as he approaches. the purring seems to get him to think he is the lucky one to be able to breed.

i will note, that while this does work, it never gets as good as results as using a slate call purr or the right box call yelp. learning to use a diapram call is great if you can keep learning it, it has a more realistic sound then everything else but it takes a verygood experienced caller to reachthe full potential.

i can't give you much advice as to exactly how to call to them, you can only learn how to call and then test it by trial and error. using the techniques you have learnedin the woods and listening to match the same call you heard from the turkeysis the best instructor.

JNTURK 12-03-2008 12:16 PM

tennhunter........i for one cannot call with just my mouth (no call in mouth)...however, my brother is VERY, VERY good at it...in fact he sounds much more natural then i can with a mouth call.

i think it has a lot to do with vocal cords and each persons voice. i have a deep voice and cannot get the call to work well out of my mouth...but to each their own. (still talking about calling without a diaphram)

vmartin 12-03-2008 12:40 PM

ya, jnturk. i have noticed my partner can do mouth calls (without diaphram), he has a much deeper voice than i do but he has a completely different technique than i use, and his yelp and purr sounds so much different than me.

i can recall one highlight that mouth onlycalling worked very well for me. last year i was taking afriend out for his first bird and i had saw a tom strutting in the rain on one side of the hill so we hastened our approach around the hill to where he was going. in the process i had alarmed some jakes down by the river. i immediatly started "putting"back atthem, then i moved to purring and clucking aggressively all using only my mouth. the jakes quickly turned around and flew across a flooded river, ran up the hill and around the front from a 1/4 mile away as fast as they couldand then proceeded to beat each other for dominanceat 10 yards for a minute before my friend shot one. after that day i was completely sold that it works very well.

jepcho 12-03-2008 06:15 PM

Only ever tried it just for fun during deer season. I'm fairly proficient with a diaphram but without one it just sounds like crap!

Arrowmaster 12-03-2008 08:47 PM

I can use my natural voice. I love using the mouth call but can use my voice if need be.

SouthernStrut56 12-04-2008 07:43 AM

I can gobble, owl hoot, and yelpwith my natural voice, never had success with any clucking, cuttin, or purring without the aid of a diaphram.