Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hunting buddies

Old 04-02-2003, 02:05 PM

Default hunting buddies

Hey guys question for you ? ive been a bow hunter for about 10 years .two years ago a buddy of mine got me into turkey hunting the problem that im having is ihave found a passion for it but im yet to kill a turkey .my hunting buddies have offered to take me out and call me in a bird but there is something in me that doesnt want that its kind of a challenge. my first year icalled in 2 longbeards and rolled one we looked for over 5 hours trying to find this bird there were feathers everywhere but no bird it made me sick to my stomach. any ways my question is do you think this is how it should be done meaning have someone call in the bird or should i continue to try on my own
Old 04-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting buddies

It' s up to you. I would certainly not look down on a bird someone else called in.
It' s a matter of what stage you feel your at in Turkey Hunting. You proved you can call birds. It takes more than calling to get to the point of pulling the trigger.
I tipped over my first turkey in 95. For a number of years I wanted to call my own in. Now I get just as much enjoyment out of calling or shooting. Turkey hunting can be a great team sport with the right people. For three days each spring I hunt with my good friend and we don' t care who calls or who shoots. We both got birds last year and I know both of us talk more about each others bird than our own. We just loved the fact that both of us were there for it. If that makes sense. I would hunt like that all season, but geographics keeps us from doing just that.
Consider the friendship formed during the hunt more than who does what. I had many a morning where I wished I could have shared my hunt with people that would of enjoyed it as much as me. I hope this babble makes some sense to you.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Homer makes some good points. I call for a lot of people who don' t feel comfortable yet. It is great to turkey hunt with others because it gives you a lot of options. Caller behind the shooter aways. You call until they get close, shift to the other caller. Just having someone along to relive the hunt with during the next winter is a great benefit.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m proud of all the birds I called in. I dont think I would feel the same if someone else called them in!!!
Old 04-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

slickwilly take up your friends offer. Use it as a learning tool and a team hunt. Sometimes partners works better then trying to hunt on your own. Also if something exciting happens, your friend will be there to witness it and tell the story for years to come.

You never know, you might enjoy partner hunting better then hunting on your own.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:05 PM

I have yet to take a turkey (going on my fourth year) and I know I would say yes in a second if someone offered to call me one in.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:35 AM

" I have yet to take a turkey (going on my fourth year) and I know I would say yes in a second if someone offered to call me one in."

purep7646--if you don' t get one this spring, let me know and I volunteer to give it a whirl for you next spring, as long as you' ve got the location and the birds all roosted!!
Old 04-05-2003, 07:34 PM

thanks guys alot of you seem to think it would be ok . and respect that my buddies and i have come to a decision we all have opening week off and im going to go at it my own for the first 4 days and then if i havent killed a bird by then i will let them take me out sounds fair doesnt
Old 04-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

this will be my 5th year......my dad taught me well and does call for us both...he always gets the bird if anyone does...i never took a shot...ive seen many birds...just never felt right about it all so i never pulled that trigger...i think for a beginning hunter its good to have someone call for you...you will leanr when to call and things like that that will take years to learn on your on and alot of experimenting....now im 16 i will be hunting and calling for myself...i think if you can have someone call for you you will learn alot...good luck either way...
Old 04-07-2003, 02:48 AM

I kind of feel that, taking a bird would be more satisfying calling it yourself,but on the other hand like others have said it' s much more enjoyable with someone to share it with.Plus wouldn' t you feel just as proud if you called in a bird for someone else?

Quick Reply: hunting buddies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.