HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   NWTF Banquets - anyone going? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/273564-nwtf-banquets-anyone-going.html)

Power 11-14-2008 12:31 PM

NWTF Banquets - anyone going?

As a local chapter President for my area, just wondering if anyone is going to the banquets this spring? We're starting our planning now trying to get things set up and thought I'd come here to find out what you guys like or don't like, looking for suggestions on ways to increase attendance. We just held our first event last spring after the previous members abused some of the funds. So they all left and me and one other guy were handed the reigns to start it over a few years after the last group.

So, thoughts, suggestions? We're holding our event March 28th and it was a ton of fun last year. It's only the 2nd banquet I've been too but I'll be going to a lot more in the future (Elk and Mule deer ones as well).

James

BuckRogers 11-14-2008 02:51 PM

RE: NWTF Banquets - anyone going?

I have been on the banquet commitee for 6-7 years. maybe more. Give me some questions that you have. That will make it easier for me as I could probably write 4 pages worth of stuff on banquets. Do you want game ideas or what?

Power 11-18-2008 12:34 PM

We cut out some of the games due to the low turnout of our first banquet but I suspect those will factor back in as attendance grows. Just looking mostly for ideas on how to get the word out and attract people to the event. It was a ton of fun last year and hoping this one will be better yet.

Also, what games seem to be the biggest hits year after year? Thanks for your help.

BuckRogers 11-18-2008 08:03 PM

one thing that doesnt really cost anything and is a good way to make money is a shotgun shell pull. What it is is we have a wooden box made for us that has 144 holes (12x12). you take shotgun shell hulls and put them into the holes and people pay $5 and pull one out. What we do with this is have a number (1-3) on little tickets that we stick into the shells. When someone draws a shell with a #1 on the ticket they get 1 sheet of raffle tickets that they use for the prizes. #2 tickets get a few more (up to you). #3 (only 1 or 2 of these) will get an Early Bird Package. So they have a chance to get $100 worth of raffle tickets for $5, plus its a guaranteed win (dont tell them that;)). Sorry if that confused you but its really quite simple.

BuckRogers 11-18-2008 08:09 PM

Another thing that we do is a $500 cash drawing before the banquet. You can start this pretty early to help with selling a large amount of them (we make it a need not be present to win). Sell 200 tickets for $5 and the winning ticket gets $500 and the commitee gets $500. You could do $250 if you dont think you could sell 200 tickets, just a thought. Also try to get a good catering company. Our banquets have terrific food and people remember that. They wont be quite as apt to come back if the meal was terrible. Obviously advertising in the local paper and putting up fliers are both good ways to get some recognition.
Also try to schedule it before other banquets in the area, and really try to avoid having one on the same night as say a DU banquet as this can really hurt attendance.
Any other questions? Could you maybe say what you guys did last year and I can help add on to that.

MN/Kyle 11-19-2008 11:41 AM

I'm a proud committee member of the

Triple Gobble Chapter--Cambridge MN.

I'll be there;)

Power 11-20-2008 11:45 AM

Thanks so much for the advice! I think we only had about 60 people at the banquet last year so hopefully we can double that number and try one of those games you mentioned. Most of last year involved the live auctions as well as the silent auctions. We also had the boards where you write your name on the grid for one of the several guns. The food and location was really good and I know a lot of people that came last year had fun and will be back with friends. We've already made sure to not have it during any other banquet weekend and 2-3 weeks before the season we figure will be a good time as well, get everyone all fired up for the upcoming season. The facility we have can hold up to 200 people but I don't expect that to happen for a few years at least.

As far as advertising I have my brother-in-law that will work with the local radio stations to announce it and talk about it (he used to be a DJ and knows all that stuff). We will advertise in the paper and hang flyers of course. It's a great area and I'm sure if we get the word out better this year we'll have better turn-out (last year was kind of last minute and after the hunting season was over).