HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   What will a drop in temperature do to gobbling? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/27268-what-will-drop-temperature-do-gobbling.html)

sour01 03-29-2003 05:51 PM

What will a drop in temperature do to gobbling?

We have had a week of 55-80 degree weather and the gobblers have been sounding off and strut' n their stuff. Tomorrow (Sunday) night' s low is supposed to drop to around freezing with over night lows in the low 40' s for the first part of next week.

Any opinions on what will happen to gobbling activity with this temperature drop?

Joe wright 03-29-2003 06:54 PM

RE: What will a drop in temperature do to gobbling?

Not much, I have hunted turkeys in the snow. Birds are light sentsive and that is what causes them to mate. The only time I' ve seen any weather related problems is rain that may keep them in the trees a while longer in the mornings.

gblrklr 03-29-2003 07:01 PM

Good call Joe. I have seen a cool morning really fire up gobblers too, especially if it is clear.

Two Beards 03-29-2003 08:53 PM

I would also agree with Joe. One of the best
' gobbling mornings' I ever hunted was a few years
back on opening day, 6" of snow and 24 degrees-
however it was sunny and clear with light winds.

PowDuck 03-31-2003 06:31 AM

Yep. Saturday morning here in SW Arkansas teh turkey was gobbling his head off at the crows. Temp. ~38°

sour01 03-31-2003 08:35 AM

Well you all were right. It was cold---but had a gobbler sound off about 100 yards from me. Only gobbled twice though---and he wasn' t responding to my calls.

Now for the bad new:(. He came in behind me around 30 mins after sunrise. I slowly turned without spooking him---but didn' t get real set. I thought I had a decent shot---but I missed:(:(:(. Been thinking all morning how that happened.

benhuntin 03-31-2003 10:57 AM

Guess it depends on the area. Here in Florida the birds seem to develop a bit of lockjaw when the temp freezes at dawn. Temperature does seem to have an effect.[:-]

bogobble 03-31-2003 03:21 PM

Here in south Ar temps around 40 degrees and warmer, don' t seem to bother em much, as long as it' s clear. cold and cloudy, is a different story. they don' t gobble good at all when it' s cold and cloudy here.

Turk_man 03-31-2003 03:53 PM

Well I was out scouting this morning and the temperature was about 26F and the birds still gobbled up a storm.