Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 First Fall hunt for Ontario >

First Fall hunt for Ontario

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Fall hunt for Ontario

Old 10-17-2008, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Fall hunt for Ontario

[hr]

October 14th was the first day and what a day it was. We spent more time filming and it was hard to work with the birds as the weather was not all that good. High winds, rain and the same day that every leaf on every tree decided to take that long fall to the forest floor.

Well what a start it was on opening morning when Jim and I walked into an old honey hole at the edge of day break and moved into an area that I have seen fall turkeys roost in other years past. As we reached the spot the bust started fast as birds started to fly out of the trees. We ran and did the best we could on the bust and it was no time and we were setup. The birds were not working as planned as the weather was so windy and to hear was near impossible so the birds came together on sight. After a couple moves we got setup and the flock came walking into us with about 4 gobblers in fan. It was something to see, but a shot was not possible as they hit range I could not get the camera on the birds for grass and Poor Ol Jim had to wait it out even if he had the one gobbler in his sights. The wind caused us a lot of problems filming and we decided to give the flock a break and come back in the afternoon, maybe then the wind would drop a bit.
5:00pm we headed out and got back to the same location and worked our way back into the same location the birds were feeding at and got setup. Jim yelped a little before the camera was setup and as I got it running and not even focused yet and I notice a bird coming to wards me and straight to me. I got the camera on the bird, focused and followed it to a point where it stopped and I could not shoot as the camera was in my way. I waited it out for a few minutes and she started to move to the left and still coming into range. At 30 yards she had came to the left enough to allow me to aim a long side of the camera and the 20 gauge roared out once again as I took my first Ontario Fall bird and filmed it all myself.
We got setup again and waited out another bird for Jim. Not long Jim whispers I hear a cluck over to our right and as we turned hear comes a flock of maybe 40 birds walking up to wards us. As they made it into range Jim let loose and down goes his bird a young but great looking Ontario fall bird and a American to take a fall bird in this hunt was what he waited and wanted to do. The camera was rolling but under the cover of leaves the forest was dark but some of the footage is good. We got the birds tagged and headed out for pictures.
Great day and great way to spend in the first fall hunt and yet another great prize to share with friends....

[/align]
Old 10-17-2008, 05:09 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: First Fall hunt for Ontario

Way to go Adrian - Congratulations!

JW
Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrat's AH.....
Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just so all un's know who the other guy is , thats Jalvja
Old 10-21-2008, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

Just so all un's know who the other guy is , thats Jalvja

Congrats to two turkey killing machines!!! Geezeee Jal, look's like you put on some weight ol' buddy!!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 AM

Congrats!! Looks like you had a GREAT time!!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Atta baby! That will feed the family!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job, both of you. Thanks for sharing the story. It's hard enough as it is, trying to get the shot on film makes it more of a challenge.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

hey where ya's from in ont??? i just got into filming as well... just a s a hobby, but ya we're from London area.....
Gerard
Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats to both of you

Quick Reply: First Fall hunt for Ontario

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.