Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How good are their eyes? >

How good are their eyes?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How good are their eyes?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:16 PM

Default How good are their eyes?

Do you think i would have a problem with the orange on this hat? I am pretty new to it and heard they have incredible eyes.

http://westonsigns.com/product.php?productid=2423
Old 10-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How good are their eyes?

Probably not, but if you are concerned, don't wear it while turkey hunting. Buy it anyway, it's a pretty cool cap. You are right, turkeys have excellent eyesight, but with that little color in the cap, you should be okay.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:36 PM

Nice hat, but I read in a book about turkeys that they can see a penny taped on a tree from 300 yards away. I cannot remember what book it was for the life of me, but I remember that line in it. It suprised me, because I knew their sight was good, but not THAT good.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd be worried about it. Better safe than sorry IMO.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Probably would be ok, but just don't moveyour head onemillimeterwhen they are in your line of sight. I've had NUMEROUS occasions while wearing blaze orange parka/hat/etc.during deer gun season where turkeys have wandered by well within shotgun range. The thing aboutseeingthem during deer seasonis that I don't have to do any movement at all to get a gun into position. It was just sit back and enjoy the show. Would be different if I were actually hunting turkeys.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:03 PM

Oh, of course it would have been different if you were hunting turkey. You never seem to get lucky when you hunting what's in season!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea good looking hat, but i dont think i would wear it turkey hunting.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been wondering how well they see UV. I wonder if that UV killer spray would help. Have any of y'all ever used it for spring turkey hunting?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, don't worry about spraying your turkey huntin clothes with UV killer, turkeys can't see UV. It all has to do with the rods and cones issue. Deer see much better in low light conditions, which is when UV tends to glow. Turkeys can't see squat in low light, so UV isn't an issue. About the hat, it's a sharp lookin hat and I'd say wear it, it's not enough to draw attention to a turkey's eyes. There's orange and brown and yellow leaves all over the ground, brown limbs and all sorts of colors in the woods. That little bit of orange will not keep you from killing a bird. The main thing is to break up your outline and choose a good base color or shade of camo. Before the woods start greening up in the fall, I will wear something with no green in it at all, like realtree hardwoods or mossy oak bottomland. You don't wanna be sitting in bare woods looking like a big green blob. Once it greens up I put on the obsession. You can always stick some limbs and leaves in your hat too. Wear the hat.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to remember about turkeys and eyesight....
Camoflauge full purposes is to break up an outline, the minor colors in something like logos and what not are really unimportant...
The main idea in turkey hunting is to not move, no matter how good your camo is, if you move... Its all over.

Quick Reply: How good are their eyes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.