Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

POLLING THE AUDIENCE!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default POLLING THE AUDIENCE!!!

A buddy and I are planning a SD Merriams Turkey hunt next spring. We are both avid turkey hunters and have a pretty good grasp on tactics and wild turkey behavior. We are doing a do-it-yourself public land hunt. No matter the success, better than working and I know we will have fun, but.....

Those of you with experience in South Dakota......

what is the difficulty level of turkey hunting around Rapid City??

1 to 10 with 10 being TOUGH HUNT and 1 being like shooting fish in a barrel.

Any tips or areas that are better than others??
Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 PM

Default RE: POLLING THE AUDIENCE!!!

I have never been, but through research found that the Black Hills around Rapid City gets hammered during spring season...Not sure if you are used to pressure from others where you hunt or not, I admittedly am not. I was just out there last month on a antelope hunt, and we did see a lot of turkey in the black hills, but the horror stories of the masses kind of intimidates me. I have heard that during the week it is alot less people...

Best of luck, Merriams are a dream of mine. Like you said, any turkey hunt beats work.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, you are right about the crowds, and we are planning our trip through the week for that fact, but thanks for the reminder. No, also admittedly, I am not used to pressured turkey hunting, other than the farms we have killed multiple birds on, but we plan on getting in there before the season and scouting and then coming back for a hunt early in the turkey season. We will see what happens! Thanks,

anyone else have any comments on our merriams dream hunt!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Walking into the dark, " Finding the birds" planning the time of your hunt can be the best start and early or lateseason means lower or higher on the Hills. Rapid City is at the top.Planning the dates properly is important andfrom there its all shooting in the barrel boys! ...
Old 09-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Any tips on where the birds are likely to be early in the season....low ground??
Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Typical Buck

any thoughts from anyone??