Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 To fall gobbler or not to fall gobbler >

To fall gobbler or not to fall gobbler

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

To fall gobbler or not to fall gobbler

Old 09-09-2008, 06:26 PM

Default To fall gobbler or not to fall gobbler

Just some fun until fall turkey season opens.

This past spring there were five mature gobblers that I saw on my farm. My DH shot one. By the last week of the season, there were two (I'm assuming the guys on the neighbor's farm got one or two). I shot one the last day. Now I know there are more around and of course there were a whole slew of jakes that will be crazy two year olds this coming spring ( ), but I'm still just seeing this one mature gobbler hanging around my hunting area. So it got me to thinking (dangerous, I know ). I always read about what a prize it is to harvest a fall gobbler. But I don't think I want to shoot him this fall because he will be oh so much fun to hunt next spring. I'd rather take a hen or even better, a young tender poult.

So how about you? Do you target fall gobblers? hens? poults? Or don't you really care?

Gosh I can't wait for fall season to open! (1 month and 2 days, not that I'm counting or anything. )

Oh and why isn't the "new poll" option available in this forum?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To fall gobbler or not to fall gobbler

depends on the amount og gobblers on the property, if a monster gets in front of me this year i will take him, but i have my heart set on the bearded hen we saw last spring, or one of the double-beards i saw wandering around.(small property, but has as many as 100 2-4 year old gobblers and 25+monsters)
Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what the taxidermist told me when I was picking up my mount.
A Fall gobbler will have pristine feathers at that time of the year, due to the spring mating seasons being over, and all the broken and lost feathers being replaced with the summer molting, and the new featherreplacements inbefore the comming winter.
He told me that if you wanted a spectacular flying mount, a Fall gobbler is the only way to go. Just a thought!!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take whatever comes in front of me. I'm not picky in the fall.