Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Advice on cutting with a mouth call >

Advice on cutting with a mouth call

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Advice on cutting with a mouth call

Old 08-17-2008, 09:42 PM

Default Advice on cutting with a mouth call

I can cut with a pot call, but I have a hard time cutting with a mouth call. Can someone give me some advice to help me get cutting down with a mouth call?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice on cutting with a mouth call

Tongue pressure and said the word "pop".
Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

practice practice practice. Listen to some files of cuttin hens over and over and try to mimic them, over and over. You'll get it sooner or later. What type of mouth call are you using?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

Few things:

1-Say "pop" or "put".
2-Listen to a CD of turkeys.
3-Cadence is EVERYTHING.
4-Start soft.
5-PRACTICE.

Best of luck!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cutting is really fast clucking. Learn to cluck sharply and just put them together a little faster. make sure each cluck is seperated. that means do not go so fast that you run them together. like it was said before cadence is everything in cutting. Listen to some real hens and you will hear it. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:59 PM

thanks for the tips guys. But it looks like i wont be turkey hunting for the next 3 seasons. I am gettin stationed out in california and have to go out on the ship for 6-9 months at a time for the next 3 years. so, hopefully i can practice up and by the time I get out of there save up enough money, take leave in the spring of 2012 and go in pursuit of my grand slam. Best of luck to yall in the upcoming season, it will be tough not being able to turkey hunt for 3 years.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is some great turkey hunting in Cali. You might be able to hook up with a local and get out there.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 AM

what kind of birds are in cali. and i don't think it would ever be as good as the turkey hunting we have here in ill.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM

Ive been practicing my butt off the last few weeks on mouthcalls, and yeah listen listen listen mimic mimic mimic practice practice practice is what it takes, but you also need the right call. Flat diapgrams dont work best for me for really good cuts, I like the sonic dome series from primos. To make really good clean plucks and cutting noises, the best is the sonic dome mini (yellow color) triple straight reeds. Its small, which makes nice plucks easier, and requires much less air, so you can get the sounds you need with just youe "mouth air" as opposed to larger volume "chest air" needed to cut with other calls. THis callAlso makes good yelps and cackles but clean kee-kees and wavy calls or whines are hard ith this call, but can be done with practice
Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Turkey hunting is better than you think out there. If you have never hunted the west rios and meeriums it is completely different than back east. I have hunted all four main no goulds yet but the rios and the merriums GENERALLY like to gobble more and the mountains are great hunting. I have a buddy out there recruiting, I think he took a jake last spring.