Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

struttin hen

Old 02-28-2003, 10:20 AM

Default struttin hen

has any one out there ever seen a hen strut. i saw one in s. arkansas last year do the whole nine yards, except fan her tail. she cupped her wings, fluffed her feathers,walked sideways and turned in circle. she also had a 8" beard. is this unusual r have others seen this. been hunting fo 11 years and this my first to see.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:24 AM

Default RE: struttin hen

Yea I' ve seen it a couple of times. Saw one in the median strip of a road close to home with tail fanned out and everything. Don' t know if any of them had beards but it was weird watching them and not being able to shoot.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:08 AM

saw it last year...single hen came in to my jake and hen decoy she strutted fully fanned tail and even made a fighting rattle for a couple secs. she then moved on feedingaway like nothing happened!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 11:13 AM

I guess some of dem lesbian birds do come out of the closet once in a while.[&:]
I have seen a hen with a beard but never saw one strut.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

I' ve seen it once right after a Spring time thumder storm. I guess she was drying out her feathers, at least that' s what I was told when asked someone about it
Old 02-28-2003, 04:18 PM

Ive seen it a few times after the rain, i think they were just drying them selves off after the rain.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Took this pic about 10 years ago as this little lady came into my calls!She yelped almost all the way in as she came in directly behind my set-up!As i sat there I began to hear a bird spitting but could never here the drum!I thought maybe she had a pulled a gobbler in with her,and as she finally made her way out in front of me I realized it wasn' t a gobbler but her!!Have no idea why she was doing this except possibly she was showing her dominance as the bosshen!!Pretty cool though!!
Old 02-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a hen that I see all the time ,that has about a six inch beard . I have never seen her when I could get a picture but I keep trying .
Old 02-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Spike

I used to raise wild and bronze turkeys and I have seen the hens strut, fan,drum and even attempt to gobble giving a fair imitation of a young jake. It always happened in the spring right when they started breeding and right before they started nesting.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Spike

I have had been very fortunate over the years to witness and record a number of hens " strutting." During a couple of those rare incidents, the hens not only displayed but also would " drag" their wings and even produce the " Pulmonic Huff" very similar to a gobbler...

Many times a " strutting" hen seems to be trying to display a bit of dominance over another strange hen within her area....

The unusual " sounds" associated with each experience certainly adds to every unforgettable encounter....

Quick Reply: struttin hen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.