HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Winchester Supreme Elite Xtended Range Hi-Density Turkey Loads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/247599-winchester-supreme-elite-xtended-range-hi-density-turkey-loads.html)

Gobble! 05-28-2008 09:16 PM

Winchester Supreme Elite Xtended Range Hi-Density Turkey Loads

i know theres been a lot of talk about hevi shot but i dont believe i can shoot hevi shot out of my gobblin thunder so does anyone have experience with Winchester Supreme Elite Xtended Range Hi-Density Turkey Loads...i was on cabelas and they say its ok will all turkey chokes....i have a 870 that i shoot 3 inch #4s out of and im thinking about giving the winchester shells a try anyone out there tried them?

hoosierHUNTER76 05-28-2008 10:29 PM

RE: Winchester Supreme Elite Xtended Range Hi-Density Turkey Loads

i shoot the extended range out of my gobblin thunder tube and it patterns well

huntnma 05-29-2008 03:57 AM

next best thing to Nitro's IMHO......i won't use anything else.....

r33h 05-29-2008 08:04 AM

If you do make the switch to the Hevi-shot type loads (like the Win Xtended Range shells), I would try going to a small pellet size, such as a #6. With the #6, you will get more pellets in the shell, resulting in a more dense pattern. What is nice about the hevi-shot type loads is that they have a great down range energy. Shooting a #6 hevi-shot type load is like shooting a #4 lead load and has the added benefit of more pellets flying through the air.

I have used the Win Xtended Range loads and they have patterned very well for me out of a Rem 870 SPS-T with thumbhole.

turkehunt 05-30-2008 10:01 PM

I have used them since they came out & would not consider anything else!! My understanding is that they are just softer than the gun barrel ( and I assume this to mean choke tubes also) so as not to damage the barrel ! I shoot them from my old faithful Mossberg 835 in 3 1/3 inch. # 6 shot using a MaddMax choke tube ! They are AWESOME :)If you do try them let me know how they work for you & what your gun & choke combo is! "Callem Close And Shoot Straight "

IL-Cornfed 05-31-2008 12:08 PM

The Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density would be my choice.... IF ..... I couldn't shoot the Hevi-13 (2oz #6) loads that are my favs.

Adrian J Hare 06-02-2008 08:30 AM

I tested them out in the 20 gauge load and Hevi 13 still out shot them. Problem I see is that they do not make a #6 shell and I did the test with #5 in the 20 gauge.

I have to agree with r33h and go with the #6 if you can get it. #6 is the same size as #5 in lead...

titleist_03 06-06-2008 06:12 AM

I wanted to try them this year, but every time I went to cabelas or basspro they were sold out. Apparently, they are incredibly popular. Finally found some after the season was over, but picked up a box for next year. Can't wait to try them. I gave HV #13 a try this year and it was an expensive mistake. They were terrible out of my gun.

Mr. Longbeard 06-08-2008 04:01 PM

What choke were you using???

turkeyslayer34 06-09-2008 07:15 AM

the winchester extendend shot material is much softer than the hevi-shot or hevi13 material......call up kicks and ask them....i know this much i get 170 in a 10 inch at 40 yards with a bennelli nova and a jellyhead and #6 extended ....and theyhave a higher velocity than H13's ....good luck