Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards???? >

200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards????

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards????

Old 06-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards????

wow...good research....but im with matt, whats the point of even putting the 4's and 5's in there if the 7's and 8's are what do the job?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

Heavyshot is one size smaller then lead shot - so a #7 is a #6 in lead size.

I think I should have said that heavy shot is one size smaller then the same size in lead. What I seen in this was that the 7 shot in the shell looked more like 7 1/2 or 8 shot..

LOL JW we still Love ya !

OH!.....now I'm tracking you. Their idea of #7 shot is more like what lead #8 bird shot looks like in size. Geez that IS small.[:-]

Why even CALL it #7 shot? I thought those shot # designations were an actualSTANDARD of measurementbased upon the size of pellets dropped through screening with specific diameter openings.

If it's #7but the size of #8 lead then it's NOT #7 shot. do they CALL it #7 because #8 sounds like we should hunting doves with it instead?
I was just reading on the NWTF forum about a guy who also did his own Nitro Autopsy and he found REALLY small shot mixed in down to what he described as #11 or 12 in size.

I Agree, IF your gonna load one up for me my idea of a theoretical perfect "Combo" load would be something like 3/4's of #6 Hevi and 1/4 of #5 Hevi.

Boy now I wish I would have held onto the MEC Shotshell reloader I sold a buddy a few years back. I think I'd enjoy messing with this stuff.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

wow...good research....but im with matt, whats the point of even putting the 4's and 5's in there if the 7's and 8's are what do the job?
The#4 and #5's will do most of the damage. The reason for the smaller sized shot is that it fills in any holes in your patterns. And since these shells consist 100% of Plated"HEVISHOT", even the smaller sized shot will work wonders compared to lead. That is the reason for the very high pellet counts inside a 10" circle. If you go to the Nitro website, they suggest using their loads with either the Rhino choke, or the Primos Jellyhead. They also make loads that work specifically with longer or shorter barrel lengths as well.
Nitro company has really done their home work with testing their loads.
I have tried numerous chokes and turkey loads over the years only to find the perfect combo with Nitro H378 loads and a Rhino choke tube sized .660.
Trust me, until you actually walk up to a target and see first hand the actual pellet count after trying this combo, it will leave you speech less!!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: maytom

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

The #4 and #5's will do most of the damage. The reason for the smaller sized shot is that it fills in any holes in your patterns. And since these shells consist 100% of Plated "HEVISHOT", even the smaller sized shot will work wonders compared to lead. That is the reason for the very high pellet counts inside a 10" circle. If you go to the Nitro website, they suggest using their loads with either the Rhino choke, or the Primos Jellyhead. They also make loads that work specifically with longer or shorter barrel lengths as well.
Nitro company has really done their home work with testing their loads.
I have tried numerous chokes and turkey loads over the years only to find the perfect combo with Nitro H378 loads and a Rhino choke tube sized .660.
Trust me, until you actually walk up to a target and see first hand the actual pellet count after trying this combo, it will leave you speech less!!

I've seen nitros and a BPS 10 gauge do some very amazing things to targets and even to turkeys at ranges further than I care to discuss. I also saw it do something very funny at 17 yards.... and that was miss clean.

Folks take it from someone who has a very tight shooting turkey gun that isn't going to see much use next spring.... a super tight pattern ain't worth a crap when you shoot most of your turkeys inside 25 steps. I'm keeping the turkey rifle for field hunting.... but I'm going to go back to the 870 and (gasp) a modified Briley for most of my turkey hunting. After keeping up with the jones' for so long... I'm reverting back to old school.... handmade calls, lead shot, modified barrels from blued and wood guns, single barrel whiskey (that never left), and good old fashion patience.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hmmm - I wonder how hevishot would do in my Black Powder?

Think I'll try that combo......should be interesting.

JW
Old 06-12-2008, 05:03 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Wow - 7 lb bag of Hevis-hot is 160 bucks!

Gotta find someone to sell me a bit to see how it patterns in the Black Powder gun I have. Anybody out there re-load?

JW
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 AM

I shoot a Remington 870 Express Mag with a Custom Choke no longer made and a Custom Turkey Load. I have all the targets here with me from 40 to 70 yards. The pellet counts are in a neck and head region of a standard Quaker Boy Turkey target and do not take into account the pellets inside of the entire 10" circle. @ 40 yards I had 125 pellets, 50 yards 82 pellets, 60 yards 93 pellets, and at 70 yards 63 pellets. Again this is inside of the neck and head region ONLY, and not the entire 10' circle, I could count them inside the circle but have not done so. Kind of like counting holes that don't matter.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could count them inside the circle but have not done so. Kind of like counting holes that don't matter.
Farley actually those holes off the head and neck DO matter and a nice even pattern spread throughout that 10" circle is what allows the margin of error if that gobbler makes one head bob or other quick move just as you pull the trigger........if his coconut is now out at the edge of the circle as you touch it off you want just as many pellets over there as you do pretty much in the center.

Basically you just want to know that you have a high pellet count AND a nice even spread with no holes because seldom do these stinkin things stand rock still.

Either way it sounds like you're getting some serious pellets on the target!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

for sure!
Old 07-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just came up with another combo for yet another 20 gauge Remington Express. .555 Indian Creek and I'm getting in the mid 90's at 40 yards in the hot temps and high Humidity with Hevi 13 #6. I would think once the cool weather comes this gun is going to shoot 100 in that circle with no problem.

There is No turkey on this planet that will ever get out of the way of a load like this.

Quick Reply: 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.