Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I need quick help for morning hunt now!!! >

I need quick help for morning hunt now!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I need quick help for morning hunt now!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Spike

Default I need quick help for morning hunt now!!!

K guys, set up right off a powerline this evening right where the tom was gobbling this morning. He came to edge of powerline about 7:50. He was roughly 40yds to my right and kind of behind me. I'm right handed so I couldnt have swung to my right to shoot. He looked as if he was heading back down the powerline into the bottom, so I barely eased my gun barrel like 2 inches max and I guess he saw me. He went back into the woods and started puttin' walking off.

He gobbled 6 times after this without me callingin the woodshe came out of from 8-8:30pm. I did a couple soft yelps and got my decoy and flapped it like it was a hen flying up. Should I set up in the same place I was this evening tommorrow morning? How spooked do you guys think he is with him puttin' but not really spooking off bad?

I've had this bird gobble up to 20 in the early season but just couldnt get right on him. Havn't had much luck the past couple weeks with him, but where I'm at is his strut zone and his home turf.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need quick help for morning hunt now!!!

Personally I would move to a different spot, maybe not far but just different.. Without seeing what ya got I would maybe try to set up in the woods where he would be coming back in after he was in the field.. Close the gap in case he stays in a similar pattern.. Then again with a turkey ya just never know.. lol
Old 05-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Spike

If hes roosted where he was gobblin at 8:30 then hes about 100yds away from a house and about 100-150yds from me. I think I'll move back up the powerline so atleast if he comes out where he did today he'll be in front.

I guess kind of block him in or cut him off like you would rattling a buck in. If I kill him no matter how it works out Ill be right, and if I dont I'll be wrong!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

If you really think you are in his strut zone I would go to the samearea, from what you have said It doesnt seem like he was too spooked. I would set up in the same area but defently move spots dont sit in the same tree. You might build a blind to help hide you a little better
Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly. I don't think the bird spooked. I've heard toms "putt" when there were hens in the tree and he was under the tree waiting for them to come down. I think this is just a sharper, more aggressive cluck, rather than a typical putt, even though they're very simular.

Having said that, and seeing that this message is just a little late for your hunt this morning, I hoped you set up in the same area but only a different location. I'm sure he came back to check out that "hen" that flew up last night. Hope you scored! Simp
Old 05-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Spike

He first gobbled this morning at 5:54am. I bet he gobbled 30 times up until 7am. Probably atleast 10 more times until 8am.

I heard a hen yelp 3 times at like 6:05am, so I'm sure she went to him. I called, and didnt try and do anything to complicated. He gobbled to calling a few times, usually with a purr and cluck. He seemed to be strutting back and forth gobbling where I left him last night. Finally, he started moving exceptionally close to a couple houses away from me, so I moved on the other side of the powerline in the same block of woods he was in.I did a couple of simple calls,"close but no cigar."

Its not likeI can circle him because I would literally be in someones backyard, and I'm not going to sound off with a 3.5"that early in the morning.

My setup was probably 20 yards up the powerline from where I was yesterday, on the same side. Guys, I dont know what to do. I feel like I should let himrest a couple days and hit him back up at the beginning of the week.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Has they been doing this every morning, sticking with the same travel routine? Or have they been mixing it up going in different directions each morning?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Do you know his fly down time and as Simp said is he doing the same thing every morning ? also are you over working him, how are the hens acting
an you may want to let him rest a little ( do you have to worry about another hunter) some soft purrs or just a small change in set up may do the trick.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Spike

His general area is where I am. I've heard him gobble in the same spot before the season ever came in here in NC. There aren't many hens there, and I am pretty sure he's the only tom in that area, because they have cleared out about 40 acres due to a housing development right behind house (this is where I killed my first bird 3 years ago and also saw one strutting in same area last year). Also, a logging company is clearcutting another 40 acres up the other ridge on the same powerline I'm setting up on.

The place where he mostly gobbles and struts is basically in the bottom of combining ridges (kind of like a cereal bowl shape). Now that doesnt say he doesnt venture off because he looks to be the same bird I saw crossing the winter wheat field across the road just by looking at his beard configuration.

I've played it safe with him since day 1, and I think I'll continue to do the same. We've still got a week left in the season, and that is plenty of time for him to finish his business breeding his hens and eventually meeting my 2oz. 4x5x7's out of the rhino.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would hunt that bird every day till i got him. thats what works for me. he will slip up sooner or later, and you need to be there!

Quick Reply: I need quick help for morning hunt now!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.