Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Your quickest hunt!

Old 02-26-2003, 05:24 AM

Default RE: Your quickest hunt!

had one really fast hunt.heard the bird,went to him,set up and called one time. he gobbled flew out went over my head about 5 or 6 feet landed about 10 feet behind me stuck his head up Boom end of hunt.
from time of set up maybe 2 min.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:23 AM

If you are talking about short hunts were the person walks in blind with no scouting, mine is 12 minutes. I left the Jeep in a new spot aquired just the late evening before in a high wind not expecting much. Sat down next to a large cottonwood and planned on watching for a bit. Like I said, I watched for 12 minutes, never gave the call a chance to hit my mouth.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:24 PM

My shortest was about 10 minutes where I called two in for my dad. The pictures I took are even a little dark because the sun wasn' t up that far yet. I think I called three times and he then said there were two coming over this ridge to his right.

What I would love to have happen one time to me are the stories I' m reading about the ones that fly right into your setup from the roost. I have not had that one yet.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Two years ago the first day in Iowa. I believe I could legally shoot right at 6:00.
I pulled the trigger at 6:15. It was 15 degrees with the wind chill.
I thought about gutting the Tom right there and sticking my hands in to
warm up! Not sure long I could of sat that mourning. Thank God for dumb birds!
Old 02-28-2003, 10:33 AM

Killed one last year around 2 pm, on a creek bank had just gotten there and put the dekes out went to the tree and started putting on my mask and looked up and there came 2 down the hill. Didn' t even have time to put my mask or gloves or get out any calls. Sometimes your just lucky!!! Probably around 5 minutes.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine was not quite that fast but I got too close to a treed bird and when I call he fell right down and as soon as he hit the ground he really hit the ground. all in all about 7 minutes.s
Old 02-28-2003, 12:51 PM

Back about 5 years ago I was leaving camp before daylight. I had walked down the road maybe 200 yards when I heard a faint gobble. It was still dark enough for them to still be in the trees, so I headed off cross country to close the gap.
I stopped and called once, and had numerous birds gobble back from the same location, still aways away. I closed the gap about 200 yards closer and then heard them all gobble again, this time from on the ground. I set up and hit my slate and they boomed back alot closer. About 2-3 minutes later I caught the movement of a jake in full stut with 3 more right behind him. Total time from camp to the shot was inside 15 minutes.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

HEY Jeff Budz,

I remember a friend of mine (Tay Fulcher) telling me of a hunt of yours in IA. This was quite a while ago.

Didn' t you fall asleep next to a field and wake up in time to drill a tom that was by your dekes.

Hopefully you are the person I am thinking of. IF not, oh well.

My quickest hunt was last year. I spooked 2 gobblers out of a field and watched them run down to this wood ridge. I waited about 30 mins. and went and set up on the ridge. Made one series of small yelps and GOOBBLLE. About 2 min. later I drilled him at 15yrds with a Knight TK2000.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:55 PM
Spike

From the time I started calling to the kill, about 5 min. But from the time the gobbler hit the ground until I pulled the trigger, about 5 seconds.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Your quickest hunt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.